3. Independence of the Seas
We have cruised with Royal Caribbean before and found them to be of good quality and good value. Not this time. Prices have gone up and standards have gone down dramatically. The main restaurant where food has always been good now resembles school dinners with such delicacies as mince and onions making an unwelcome appearance. I ordered scallops au gratin. The scallop had been diced into tiny cubes and served in an escargot dish, I suspect so that you had a chance of finding the minuscule pieces in the dimples designed for snails. I ordered spiced prawns, it arrived, there were two prawns and one half of a lobster tail. This was supposed to be a main course it would have been inadequate as an appetiser. Whilst I appreciate that not everyone likes formal dining there were however people arriving for dinner dressed in shorts, vests and football shirts. This was not challenged by staff. The unlimited drinks package is not all it seems, I’ve never seen so many drunk people, on going for breakfast at 9.00 am one morning we had to report vomit in the lift it had clearly been there for some time. Excursions have always been pricey however we opted for the Florence by train trip priced at $63. We were advised we would be in a private carriage with charging points etc. We were on the public train from Livorno, no private carriage. The only reason we got seats was that we were first on. By the first stop we were inundated with people and luggage in our ‘private’ carriage. This would have cost about €10 had we booked ourselves. It was a complete rip off. Cabin staff and dining room staff are without exception superb, sadly the same can’t be said for those working in guest services and future cruises. We found them to be both rude and dismissive. when we were charged twice for an excursion and questioned it the person who dealt with us was woeful. He waved us away from his desk when the questions became too difficult. The ship itself is shabby, I understand that the refit deals only with public areas and not staterooms. Simple things like missing curtain hooks meaning that curtains don’t close properly. This type of issue could be rectified at minimal cost. She needs a bit of TLC. I appreciate this review is largely negative but when paying top price for something and receiving mediocre in return it leaves a bad taste. We will not be using Roya Caribbean again.

Falling standards

Independence of the Seas Cruise Review by 1979annieca

1979annieca’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas price drops

The cabin needed a little TLC. Curtain hooks were missing meaning that they didn’t close properly. Otherwise spotlessly clean. The in room tv is woeful. Re runs of Top Gear and little else.
  Independence of the Seas Deck Plans