3. Norwegian Getaway
This cruise was probably the best cruise we've done considering the aggregate of food, entertainment, and quality of ship. My wife and I had an amazingly good time watching the games shows and other comedies in the atrium. The comedian, Anthony Scott, in the headliners room was very funny. The food in the general cafeteria was very good and offered a very good variety. The ship offered prime carved meat nightly. The bread was not very good at all, but we were coming from European destinations, such as Copenhagen, where the bread was as amazing. The sushi on the ship was good but you had to pay extra. The ice cream was good but not great. About the destination of St. Petersburg, because I was late in picking excursions. We ended up taking two excursions; one in the morning and one in the afternoon. The morning was a scenic tour of St. Petersburg. It was just a bus ride where you saw the outsides of buildings. The afternoon excursion was going to the Peterhof (St. Peterburg's version of the Versailles). This was terrible because the tour only included the exterior grounds. My mistake for not reading the excursion details clearly. The best way to see St. Petersburg is the following: make sure it is a two day destination there -- it was offered by Norwegian cruise line. See the Hermitage, Peterhof and a couple of the churches. Also, buy a visa so you can roam freely within St. Petersburg. If you don't buy a visa, you are stuck with a tour operator. Our tour operators were kind but the tours were poor. Getting a visa allows you to roam around, having coffee at cafes, having lunch at restaurants, free shopping, etc. All the other destinations (Copenhagen, Rostock (Germany), Tallin, Helsinki, Stockholm) were amazing. These towns were better than St. Peterburg in so far as they were more quaint -- it is a matter of opinion. When in these cities, target the old sections. My wife and I were given a "10 free photo package". The photographers were first rate. The images we had were professional looking. The photographers spent a lot of time with different poses. We were pleasantly surprised at their quality. Regarding Norwegian Cruise line, I have cruised on the Escape, Epic and Getaway. I much preferred the Getaway when it came to food and the staff. One of our cruises was with Celebrity -- on the Eclipse. The Getaway is a nice as the Eclipse. The food on Celebrity's Eclipse was a little better, but the entertainment was terrible. When comparing the cruise lines we've taken, Norwegian wins hands down when you balance, food, entertainment and personnel. Disclaimer: I have not cruised on Disney -- I have heard it is first rate but ridiculously expensive.

Excellent combination of good food, funny entertainment and kind ship personnel

Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by Adambadadam

• Sail Date: October 2017
  • Destination: Baltic Sea
  • Cabin Type: Balcony Stateroom

Adambadadam’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Getaway price drops

Balcony Stateroom
Cabin BC 13886
The cabin was good. The room was clean. We had a balcony but in October it was cold and we rarely used it. You are out during the days and really can't see anything at night. So my suggestion, save the money and get an inside room. Balcony's are great if you have a lot of down time and it is warm.
Deck 14 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Copenhagen
    Copenhagen is an amazing city. I have been there twice and I liked it even more the second time. The people are friendly. The food is probably some of the best I've had any where in the world. When there, you need to see the shopping district in the old section that is closed off to traffic (I apologize if there is a name for this district, I just don't know it). Also see Freetown Christiania -- this is a park like setting where "hippies" and other people of alternative living styles have squatted. There, there is a metal fabrication shop run by women. Some of the art there is quite good. Also see Nyhavn -- the canal with ships, old buildings and good restaurants.
    View All 1,107 Copenhagen Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Copenhagen Cruise Port Review
  • Helsinki
    Wonderful city. Many beautiful buildings -- and many with modern architecture. The people were very kind and engaging to speak with. The shops had very good quality-type gifts and gifts originating from Finland.
    View All 849 Helsinki Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Helsinki Cruise Port Review
  • Rostock (Warnemunde)
    We could have opted for the Berlin tour but the travel time to/from Berlin would have limited our time in Berlin so we opted to see the cities of Rostock and Warnemunde. Rostock is a quaint city but not very large. The shopping district is good but not terribly exceptional. We actually enjoyed our time in Wernemunde more. It is a very quaint sea-side village with wonderful restaurants and shops. It reminded me more like Cape Cod than Europe. But definitely worth seeing. This little town would be a great three day weekend destination in summer. The beach is very beautiful but when we were there in October at night, it was cold and very windy, (but it added to the majestic nature of the beach.)
    View All 372 Rostock (Warnemunde) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Rostock (Warnemunde) Cruise Port Review
  • City Tour
    In all fairness, I write this review knowing we did not have enough time to see the city and experience it. Prior to going on the cruise, I anticipated that St. Petersburg would have been the golden gem of the trip. It was not. For those that like the grandeur of Paris or Rome, you might like St. Petersburg. We were late in booking excursions and ended up doing a city bus tour with limited stops where we did not have time to enter the any of the destinations. We did see the city however and that was very good. It is beautiful, but in a cold way. I prefer quaint.
    It is a city that obviously wanted to emulate Paris. Our tour guide was seemingly afraid to explain more fully about some of the historical occurrences within the city, like the destruction of the churches by the Soviets.
    View All 345 City Tour Reviews
  • Peterhof Palace
    The other excursion we took in the afternoon was of the Peterhof. We only were able to book a exterior grounds tour so we didn't get to see the Versailles-like buildings of the Peterhof. I didn't mind too much because the walk through the grounds was wonderful. Our tour guide did a good job explaining about the history of the period and grounds. The best way to see St. Petersburg would be to get a visa and spend a few days there, at least.
    View All 212 Peterhof Palace Reviews
  • Stockholm
    The old part of Stockholm was absolutely beautiful, charming, and quaint. This was the other highlight of the trip. Going here for one day makes me want to go back and spend at least three days there. The Nobel Museum (think Nobel prizes) is worth going to. It is a short museum tour so not to take up too much of your day. All in all... I LOVED STOCKHOLM and will return.
    View All 12,970 Stockholm Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Stockholm Cruise Port Review
  • Tallinn
    Absolutely wonderful and beautiful city. The shops had beautiful wool sweaters that were reasonably priced. The people were very friendly. This town reminded me a little bit of Krakow in its quaintness. It is fun to wonder the streets with no destination in mind. This was town was definitely a highlight of the trip.
    View All 1,022 Tallinn Cruise Port Reviews