3. Carnival Victory
This was my 1st cruise, EVER. My sister and I went for my 35th birthday, as she wanted me to enjoy a trip for once. (Yes, I typically travel and do all the planning and such on my own, and stress out about it until the trip. I'm that person.) So, 1st day impressions! Faster to the Fun is certainly worth the money. It was a bit overwhelming to me when we got to the ship and I saw all those people; my sister assured me this was a SMALL group compared to the last cruise she took with her husband! I can't imagine the madhouse it must have been for them. But things went very smoothly, and after the Diamond/Platinum/whatever they are groups boarded, we were called to board. Line moved pretty fast to get onto the ship. Avoided the drink and trinket peddlers, found the elevators, found our floor, found our room. Here is where things dipped south. We specifically requested TWO beds. I love my sister and all, but she tosses and turns and hogs blankets. TWO BEDS. We arrive to one. I am immediately annoyed but she assures me the beds can be easily separated. We call guest services and the lady on the line made it sound as though someone was coming up immediately to fix this. We had to take an early flight to Miami so we were tired; my sister takes a nap but I stay awake waiting on room service. No one ever comes after 2 hours and now it's time for the muster. This was a horrid experience. I get that it's mandatory to give us whatever important safety spiel we need to hear about being on this ship. But we were herded up like cattle and then squished like sardines on the promenade. Too many long pauses between reading the instructions; I have never prayed so hard for something to end in my life! Finally they tell us it's over and as we make our way back to our room, we discover we have the wrong room's luggage. Another call to guest services. They assured me they were still working on getting everyone's luggage to them. Moving past annoyed to aggravated now, I hang up and take that room's luggage to them. Other passengers are searching the luggage carts as they have grown impatient with the staff; my sister managed to get some young men to help us get our one large bag of luggage to our room. At this point my sister feels bad because I am not enjoying my birthday trip and we just got on the ship. She suggests we open our wine and watch as we pull away from the dock. I will admit, this lifted my spirits some, for a very amusing reason - the Coast Guard. Apparently there were some teens/young adults on surf boats taunting them as we pulled off - did they have a death wish? Soon after, our room steward came and introduced himself. I let him know I was disappointed with guest services not correcting our bed, and he promised me he would have it split by the time we came back from dinner. I thanked him, gave him a generous cash tip and requested we never run out of ice. We headed to the main dining room for dinner. Upswing! Only 2 other people at our table of 8 were there, but these two were the highlight of my trip. A mother-daughter pair, one who had cruised before and one of who was a 1st-timer like me (I won't tell you which!). We had a good laugh about how odd our embarkation was, but we were all excited to finally be settled and enjoy a good dinner. And dinner was AWESOME. My sister advised me that you CAN order more than one appetizer, entree, dessert - so we both ordered two of each, and played "Let's Try It All." God help me, I can't even remember what all we ate, but it was all delicious! Feeling better on a full stomach (and now on my 2nd drink), we depart from our dinner guests and head to Serenity. I will say this about Serenity - it definitely lived up to its name. My sister and I both have children, and we were ready to enjoy our sibling cruise free from any little ones. While you can definitely make some connections with people while lounging in the sun or relaxing in the hot tub, most of the adults are up there just to enjoy the peace and quiet. Almost every moment we weren't out at port, dining, or sleeping - we were at Serenity. And it was so peaceful we actually did a lot of napping up there, too! Eventually we made our way back to our room - two beds, and a nice bin of ice as promised! :-) My sister and I had a few more drinks and finally nodded off to sleep, but not before I filled out our door card for early morning coffee and snacks. I tend to suffer from bouts of insomnia but one thing my body does NOT let me do is sleep in - I have a built-in timer to wake up at the same time, no matter what. And sure enough, I did... and 2 minutes later, there was a knock at the door for my coffee and our goodies. AMAZING COFFEE. I enjoy a few cups with my bagel and watch the sun rise over the ocean before lazily climbing back in bed. We saved the other things (mostly a box of dried cereal and fruit) for late-night snacks; once my sister got up for the day, she wanted to head to the main dining room for breakfast. Again we stuffed our faces and then headed to Serenity for some sun until we got to Key West. (Won't bore you with details there.) We returned to the ship for lunch and this time hit the lido for the buffet, as it was closer to Serenity once we finished eating. It's VERY crowded and can sometimes take a minute to find a seat, but the lines move surprisingly fast and the food is still excellent. More sun-soaked hours spent in Serenity; back to our rooms before dinner as this was the formal dining night. Greeted by a towel pet on the bed (a seal, I think?) and another bin of fresh ice, we made ourselves some nice strong drinks. This time our table was full - all 8 of us attended. Another evening of excellent meals, followed by getting to know the others at our dinner party. My sister and I swore we would go to the comedy show that night but instead ended up chatting too long - standing room only when we got there, so we left. (Heard it was a good show.) Hit the breakfast buffet the next day before hopping off for Cozumel (again, full of amazing choices). Enjoyed another evening dinner (the married couple did not show, only 6 this time) and then another peaceful evening in Serenity. The next day was a day at sea. 1st time the ship really felt "full" everywhere we went (understandably). This was also the evening a couple tried to sneak their maybe-8-year-old daughter up to Serenity. Mind you, they had to pass the check-in desk up front (but this might have already been closed, as no more towels were being given out), past the bar (not sure if this was also already closed), up another set of stairs, and they had to walk all the way around the U-shape of the ship to where we were sitting. We were trying to sit in a remote area so we could drink and laugh at all the silly pics we took and lament our vacation coming to an end; clearly, they were looking for a similar hidden spot to smuggle their child to. They left as soon as they saw our disapproving scowls. Going to chalk it up to no staff being around at the time and parents thinking since it looked empty, why not? Coming back to Miami and disembarking was surprisingly fast - again, thank you, Faster to the Fun! All in all, I enjoyed it enough to have already booked another trip in February 2018, so I'd say I still came out very satisfied. Here's to hoping the next trip is also a positive experience with Carnival.

1st Time Cruise

Carnival Victory Cruise Review by PrettyPenny7

PrettyPenny7’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Victory price drops

Ocean View
Cabin 6A 2363
Overall was nice. The window was dirty from the outside before we even left the port, so all my pics//videos unfortunately reflect this. But *shrugs* at least it was clean and stayed well-maintained each day during our trip.
Riviera Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins

• Nachi Cocom Beach Club
    Nachi Cocom is a BEAUTIFUL private bar and beach. It has a very laid-back vibe; the staff is attentive and friendly. They took an amazing pic when we 1st walked up, which at 1st I wasn't gonna buy but she did such a great job posing us I couldn't say no :-) We also scheduled to snorkel (my 1st time doing so) and our guides were nothing short of awesome. Great senses of humor, super informative and helpful. Excellent authentic food and the most delicious beer and drinks are all included - trust me, this is worth the money.
    View All 104 Nachi Cocom Beach Club Reviews