3. Norwegian Gem
I received a free cruise offer from NCL I decided to do something different than than the Caribbean which I had already done at least 10 times. I took a Megabus from Baltimore to New York then a $15 cab ride from the drop off point to the port. I arrived at the port at 1215 and quickly went through security and check in and I was in my cabin by 1300. The room cleaning was very good I had a great cabin steward. Service in the dining room was a hit or miss twice when I went to the main dining room with a group of 6 or 8 people service was extremely slow and dinner wound up taking over 2 hours. Once I had to skip dessert to make it to some evening activities. I had dinner once at the Asian place and the service was exceptional there. The Main dining room food was good but nothing stood out as a must try dish. The Cruise staff seemed to lack personality, one of the things I had always liked about NCLs smaller ships was that the staff seemed to bring their personalities to trivia, or whatever activity was going on and they made it their own event. On this ship everything was just done to the regular schedule with staff showing fake motivation to run whatever they ran again it was OK but no cruise staffer stood out as making the trip special. I had one major issue when I received my bill on the last night of the cruise there was a $30 charge for jewelry on my account. I had not bought anything from the gift shop on the cruise. When I took it to the desk on the morning of debarking they said that the charge had been made without a card being swiped or a signature being signed. They spent about an hour with the gift shop manager trying to find out what had been billed and how it had been billed with no card swipe or signature. Finally after an hour and when most of the passengers had already left the ship they decided to take the mysterious $30 bill off of my account. They never did explain how Something that was never swipe or signed for got onto my bill. Unfortunately on my next cruise I will have to look over my bill intensely to ensure that mystery charges do not appear on my account the last night of the cruise. Ports were great. Shore excursions in Halifax , ST John and Boston were great. Portland left a little to be desired for the price of the trip. We had a great Cruise Critic meeting and a fun slot pull though the results were the most unlucky I have ever seen. Entertainment was great Nadine the hypnotist was great even though it was the 3rd cruise I had seen her on, there was a couple that did very good arial stunts. The production cast had a good swing show and another good show. The country show by the same cast was just OK, however the seas were rough and that may have effected that performance.

Pretty average cruise

Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by totalee

totalee’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Gem price drops

• Lexington and Concord
    We had a great guide for this tour. Lots of information about Lexington and Concord. My reason for a 4 instead of a 5 was that it was rushed and we had 20 minutes at the North bridge and 10 minutes at Lexington Green. I would have liked more time on the ground and to go to some of the visitors centers. We did go to Harvard Yard and that was interesting to learn some of that colleges history, though I personally would have preferred more time in Concord.
    View All 15 Lexington and Concord Reviews
  • Acadian Maple Experience
    Nice look at maple syrup plant, done as part of 150 years of Canada tour
    View All 5 Acadian Maple Experience Reviews
  • Lunenberg & Mahone Bay
    Did this as part of 150 years of Canada Tour. We had a great guide who spent the 90 minutes driving there giving us a very good history of the area. I went through the fisheries Museum which was very interesting the highlight there was speaking with the retired fisherman who explained how the boats worked. This is a beautiful town I was a little upset we only spent a little more than 90 minutes here on this tour. It could easily be an all day outing by itself. Mohone bay was neat but you could just drive in and spend 15 minutes to take pictures and get the feel of the town
    View All 17 Lunenberg & Mahone Bay Reviews
  • Peggy's Cove
    Nice view good for 15 minutes not worth a trip we stopped there for 1 hour as part of another tour. One hour was way too long.
    View All 196 Peggy's Cove Reviews
  • Lighthouses of Maine Tour
    We had a good guide on this tour and he gave us good information about Maine and Portland. However the lighthouses themselves were a disappointment. Not what it was billed to be.
    View All 23 Lighthouses of Maine Tour Reviews
  • Saint John (New Brunswick)
    Best shore excursion I have done so far. It was a scavenger hunt seeing the historic parts of St John. The best part was that each place you went you got to talk to the people about what they do and get their views on the history and significance of St John. One highlight was meeting Liam at the Market where he showed us how he catches Periwinkles and how to properly eat one. We also got to dress in Canada Apparel and sing Oh Canada at a theater. Though it is called a race If you walk and have good puzzle solving skills you can finish it quicker than some fast young runners who missed important clues along the way. However there is no real clock so you can take as much time as you like anywhere along the way. You receive vouchers for a beer, coffee and a bearclaw pastry along the way. I met some folks along the way and we had a great time doing this.
    View All 12,789 Saint John (New Brunswick) Cruise Port Reviews