3. MSC Meraviglia
My mother and I turned up to find that we'd been mistakenly allocated a child's bedroom in the middle of a family bedroom. This meant we had a small sofa bed meant for two children, for two adults, with two interconnecting rooms on either side - no furniture in the room, no space, nothing. When we complained to reception they told us that this was the room we had booked and that there were no other cabins and we would have to wait until we set sail to see if there was anything they could do. After I refused to leave the reception desk which had a queue of approximately 2 hours until the issue was resolved, we were reallocated a room which had no furniture in (which happened with many rooms - cabin staff were dragging chairs through to balconies throughout the cruise.) The restaurant service was absolutely terrible - staff had obviously not even eaten in a restaurant let alone served in one or been trained. Sometimes dinner service took 3 hours. We took the holiday some time ago so cannot remember everything, but we were offered £500 off of a cruise on the same ship, which we rejected, or £350 off a different ship. This was completely insufficient considering what we experienced. There was no information provided in cabins and the restaurant booking service didn't work either (had to be done online but the system wasn't working and we weren't given any additional information.) The entertainment was also done through a booking system, which didn't work - advertised shows such as the cirque de soul show was 15 euros. Upon disembarkation, there must have been 1000-1500 people trying to leave the ship at the same time, from one exit. To give you an idea of how many people were there, you couldn't walk through the big main central promenade as it was so jam packed with people. This involved a mixture of guests finishing their holiday and guests trying to disembark for shore excursions mixed together, there was no planning or organisation - people were getting crushed, screaming, crying, and just one hotel manager trying to sort the queue - this is not an exaggeration in the slightest. This resulted in us taking just under 2 hours to get off the ship and almost missing our flights. I've been on about 20 cruises and have loved them all, but this was probably the worse holiday I've ever been on - very very stressful which resulted in my mother crying (I've never seen her cry in my life!) This is NOT an exaggeration at all, it was absolutely one of the worst experiences I've ever had to endure. This is not an isolated experience, just to give you an idea of the scale of the problems on the ship, the queue at the reception ended up being extended up the stairs and there was a 2 hour wait in the queue on the first day. Reception staff would hang up the phone when we called so they didn't have to deal with the problems. I would never, ever cruise with MSC again, even despite the credit off the next holiday they gave me. The only positive is that the ship looks great, but the layout on the whole is also poor, very few lounges for drinking in the evening and the space / size of the ship has been used to accommodate more cabins to fit more people, not improve the public areas. I'd honestly beg you to not book with them - they do not deserve your money and don't let a holiday be ruined, there's a reason they're going so cheap, because no one wants to sail with them! Feel free to contact me at andyfoley7@hotmail.com if you'd like any more honest advice.

Absolutely Terrible