3. Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
This was our tenth crossing on the QM2 and our 25th cruise overall. We return to the QM2 because it is an ocean liner and because we love many of the beautiful public rooms such as the Chart Room, the Commodore Club, the Britannia restaurant, and the library. We find plenty to do and prefer crossing on the QM2 to air travel over the Atlantic. On this crossing the boarding and disembarkation were super-smooth. We have learned to show up a little late to avoid the crowds, and to leave at the end of the morning. This time it worked and we had no delays or stress. We were comfortable in our Princess Grill stateroom, which we chose for the extra square footage. We spend a lot of time in the room, so space is important to us. I attended one lecture on Oscar Wilde which was excellent. The other lectures on space and maritime history did not appeal. Our favorite evening entertainment was the jazz in the Chart Room, which is always superb and played in the most beautiful setting on board. We went to one big show performed by a guest opera/pop singer who was adequate. The big shows are old and tired IMHO. Good fitness center will all of the equipment we use in working order. Service was adequate, not big problems, no wow factor. Food is always somewhat a challenge on QM2. It is definitely not up to the standards of fine restaurants on land, but there is plenty to eat and some variety. In Princess Grill we commented early on regarding the lack of spices, so the staff decided to make us a special curry dish on the last night, It was rather odd as every day at lunch and dinner a parade of staff would stop at our table to remind us that we had a special curry on the way. One would have thought that the Queen of England was going to visit. The promised curry turned out OK, but nothing more than what one would find in hundreds of Indian restaurants in London or New York and pay about $15 for the main course and accompaniments. Overall we just lower our food expectations when we board and try not to complain as it does no good. My only true complaint from this crossing is the sad state of the wifi service. There was absolutely no access in our stateroom, so I often was found standing in the hallway holding my laptop up to a router hoping for the best. I was able to complete basic email correspondence only in public room, especially down in Connexions. Access to complex sites like our bank accounts and credit cards was impossible. It's a good thing we had no crises while traveling. I swear, it seems as though the wifi is getting worse. How can that be? We will return to the QM2 as long as we continue to travel to and from Europe. We focus on the features we enjoy and try to ignore the issue areas.

We Love the Crossings

Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by tv24

Good fitness center will all of the equipment we use in working order.

Service was adequate, not big problems, no wow factor.

tv24’s Full Rating Summary