Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review
1,835 Reviews

Ship not what it used to be, entertainment wise.

Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review by Bill Mc

• Sail Date: Oct 2017
  • Destination: Canada & New England
  • Cabin Type: Large Ocean View Stateroom

We chose Grandeur of the Seas based on a previous cruise on it to Bermuda - TOP tier entertainment; not so much this cruise.

Staff in the main dining room were absolutely EXCEPTIONAL but the food was typically not not though the staff would quickly remedy that.

The ship was probably a 9 out of 10 on cleanliness - the cabin was a 10 on cleanliness and upkeep by the steward.

The ports and excursions - two out of four were interesting and two were boring.

The worst part of the cruise was being told that no Accessible Rooms were available, AFTER being told I had one. Then, encountering a woman who was upset because she was put in an Accessible Room, and told when she asked for another room that "none were available." Meanwhile, I had asked if RC would check to see if there were Accessible Rooms given to people who did not NEED one, and I was told they would check that, but ultimately, I was told that none were available to switch with. While our cabin was clean and well tended to, it was terribly cramped and using the shower was a nightmare.

Apparently, once assigned a room, Royal Caribbean will NOT even attempt to get you into an appropriate room. The did take the coffee table out of our cabin to make SOME room for my power wheelchair.

The cabin was given an "Excellent" rating because, while too small, it was tended too by a VERY accommodating steward.

Bill Mc's Full Rating Summary

Large Ocean View Stateroom
Cabin F 3018

Clean, but too small for my power wheel chair. I requested an "Accessible Room," and was told none were available; but I filled out the form they have online, and was told I had one. When I replied that it still showed stateroom 3018, I was told it would change when I pre-boarded (online) - it did not. When I inquired, I was told there were no "Accessible Rooms" available. When I referred to the previous emails, I was contacted by that person who said I had the room who apologized that it was not available. I was also told she would review all the Accessible rooms to see if they were given to anyone who did not need them, and she would contact me. She never did.

HOWEVER, during the cruise, I met a lady who was given an "Accessible Room," and was unhappy because SHE DID NOT NEED, OR WANT it. She was amazed that she was given the room, contacted Royal Caribbean and asked for a regular room, but was told, "none were available!"

Trolley Tour

Don't expect to see a lot - lots of construction and detours and saw no real historic places other than a couple of churches and the Market Square which was extremely crowded.

View All 41 Trolley Tour Reviews
Trolley Tour

The tour guide was interesting and had a lot of historical facts.

View All 20 Trolley Tour Reviews
Island Tour

The only drawback was that it was a VERY foggy day, and a lot could not be seen. However, the driver/tour guide still made it very interesting and he made every effort for us to see as much as possible. Other than the fog, this would have been an exceptional tour, but I still rate it as excellent due to the tour guide's knowledge and efforts go give us the best bang for our buck.

View All 8 Island Tour Reviews
Hop On Hop Off

Expect a LONG wait to get on the Hop On/Hop Off with a VERY long line. Once on, the tour guide we had was knowledgeable and gave a lot of interesting facts. We did not get off anywhere despite the supposed 20 minutes wait for each bus because of the probably long lines at any given stop. So, we missed a lot of actual tours or venues that would probably have been interesting - but with a limited time schedule, if you can't get on a bus in time for departure, your stuck.

View All 41 Hop On Hop Off Reviews
Bus Tour

The tour guide will put you to sleep - at least our's did. Luck of the draw I guess.

Bill Mc