3. Viking Modi
This was our first river cruise (we have had several sea cruises, not with Viking). We had two reasons to try a river cruise. First, several friends recommended river cruises very highly. Second, my wife does not enjoy sea days, and there are no sea days on a river cruise. We specifically chose Viking because (1) friends recommended it, (2) because of the large number of ships Viking seems more flexible in handling emergent waterway conditions, and (3) a comparison with other lines convinced me that Viking was well priced. We had a deluxe stateroom (water level) and it was very nice. Through folks we met on the cruise we did visit other types of rooms. While a veranda room would have been great, we found our less expensive room to be quite nice and met all our needs. The beds are great, by the way. We looked forward to dining and being able to share time and a meal with new friends met on the boat. The food was always quite nice and the service staff was quite capable and responsive. One bit of advice - try both sides of the dining room. The service was much better on the port side than it was on the starboard side. Embarkation and debarkation were quite efficient and first-rate. We did a pre-stay extension in Budapest and a post-stay in Amsterdam. I highly recommend both. Both hotels were well located for visiting many attractions just by walking or a short tram ride. I probably should write-up our Budapest and Amsterdam visits as there are a lot of good things I could say about those cities. Would we do it again? Well, we did by $100 discount vouchers for our next trip . . .

An AMAZING vacation!

OBCtraveler’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Modi price drops

Deluxe Stateroom
Cabin E
The cabin was quite nice and well maintained. I have two criticisms, but don't get me wrong as I thoroughly enjoyed myself. First, storage is a problem. There are only 3 drawers to use for two people. Veranda rooms have 6 drawers. I think that is a design choice to be reviewed. The two night stands also did not have drawers when clearly they could have. The storage, of course, was not in the control of the Modi staff. What WAS in control of the crew was our very, very filthy window. I have seen basement windows in neglected building with windows cleaner than ours. We did mention it to staff on a couple of occasions but nothing was done. Fortunately, we spent little time in our stateroom so it was not a really big deal.
Main Deck Outside Cabins