3. Anthem of the Seas
I joined friends who happened to choose this sailing. I was happy to spend time with them, see Bermuda for the first time, and check out a different ship. I was very, very impressed with the Spectra's Cabaret show. Fantastic dancing and great music. I highly recommend sitting right down in front. You'll have to crane around a bit to see all the action, but it was a ton of fun to be right in the action. The Rock of Ages show was very good. It was a bit hit and miss through much of it, but finished really well. It helps a great deal if you love Queen's music as I do. I found The Gift confusing and the music only sometimes interesting, but I was also falling asleep and left after 15 minutes. The skydiving was great. A really interesting experience. The training was good and it was a very well organized event that felt very safe. Everyone was very supportive -- both staff and other cruisers. The North Star provided a mildly interesting new vantage point, but wasn't overly interesting. I enjoyed the food and was generally pleased with the variety and quality in both the main dining room and the Windjammer, with one, minor exception: My wife and I have come to enjoy the cold fruit soups -- a different one at every dinner on past cruises. This cruise had only one on board that was offered only at lunch in the main dining room. The Windjammer got unpleasantly crowded at peak times, particularly around 9:30ish and Noon. The organization of the Mytime dining was sometimes painfully poor. We waited nearly 45 minutes to be seated one night, despite having reservations. The worst problem was the really very surprising to me habit of playing very loud music for a song or two in the main dining room while announcements were made. I was very, very surprised by how loud it was. And I'm not that much of a stick in the mud. We ate in only one high-end restaurant: Izumi. The food was great, but not better than one could get in many sushi restaurants. I was pleased that the Pub had a cider option and at least a couple of interesting beers. The $14 Rye flight may be the best alcohol deal on the ship -- or maybe we just got lucky with some very heavy pours. The casino was using 6:5 payouts for blackjacks at the tables with low ($10) minimums, which I find pretty annoying. The $25 and $50 tables used the standard 3:2 payout. The shuffling is done by hand rather than using the automatic shufflers commonly found in Las Vegas, which is nice if you want to try your hand at card counting. In Bermuda I went on a non-RCI tour run by Heidi Cowen, which I greatly enjoyed. http://www.bermudafootsteps.com/ She is an animal lover and a local with a lot of love for her Island, but also willing to share the unvarnished truths -- positive and negative. Embarking was easy, my Emerald status got us into a line at 11:30 with no waiting. Disembarking was surprisingly slow. We were using self-carry, but still got stuck in very long lines to walk off the ship. In the past I've been able to just walk off whenever I like. I think if I'd timed the departure earlier, that wouldn't have been the case. The fitness center was very well stocked. The faux window in our interior cabin was fantastic. I was surprised how well it worked -- allowing in the morning light beautifully.

Great shows, fun activities, beautiful ship, dining issues

Anthem of the Seas Cruise Review by arenson9

• Sail Date: October 2017
  • Destination: Bermuda

The fitness center was very well stocked.

arenson9’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas price drops

I really enjoyed this cabin. I was concerned about not having the natural light from a window to help wake me up in the morning, but the virtual window filled that role beautifully. I was also concerned about not being able to easily step outside onto a balcony to enjoy the sea whenever I might like, but between getting a realtime view from the virtual balcony and being able to go outside for real most of the time, it was never an issue. I am 6 foot and my roomate is taller and quite broad and we had no trouble maneuvering in the space. (OK, I think he was cramped in the tube shower). I had plenty of room to do body weight exercises in the room. We had plenty of closet and drawer space -- far more than we used -- though we also are both light packers. I had just a backpack and he had just a small suitcase and a backpack. There was one standard US outlet on one side of the beds. I had brought an extension cord that ran behind one of the beds to the nightstands in-between, so we could both plug in easily.
  Anthem of the Seas Deck Plans