3. Grandeur of the Seas
I am reasonably ill and was not sure if this would be my last vacation so was very excited about it. We booked to Bermuda because we had never been there. wanted to see new sights, and if sailed out of Baltimore. My niece lives in Baltimore, recently had a baby. and it's only a 7 hr drive from our home. My husband is claustrophobic and did no wish to fly this trip. The embarkation process was very fast, they were waiting for us with a wheelchair and could not have been more helpful. We boarded the ship and sought out Windjammer, their buffet restaurant. So did every other cruiser within a 100 mile radius. It was packed and seating was scarce. We had brought along our adult son who had recently ended a long term relationship. He needed cheering up, and we needed assistance. He found us a table and got us drinks, that was the best he was able to do. Shortly after they announced cabins were ready. Our cabin was an outside stateroom with ocean view. It was definitely a tight squeeze but attractive. Last year we sailed on Carnival and while Carnivals cabins were definitely older and shabbier they were slightly larger. The general public areas were equally lovely on both ships. That first night we went to the piano bar and listened to J.R. who was quite good. We were unable to gamble until we were in international waters on day 2. The seas were rough following the recent hurricanes and we chose to retire early as we were slightly sea sick and wobbly. Day II the casino opened and we had a lot of fun and lost little. We attempted the Windjammer again, I am on a scooter because of my disabilities, not one RC employee offered assistance. It was also very crowded as usual. My husband and son snagged some lunch, but rather than make them battle the lines twice I decided to wait for dinner. I must say the food in the main dining room was excellent. The menu far more extensive than what we experienced on the Carnival Paradise. The food was excellent with one exception and the service also excellent. Virgillio and Jingxia were both pleasant and attentive, We went to a show that night and it was nothing to right home about. I have found few cruise ships with above average talent. Simon Cowell often described contestants as cruise ship candidates, I never quite understood that until recently. We were unable to partake of any shore excursions due to my limitations, but were still able to shop on the wharf. Bermuda offers little in the way of home crafted items but would highly recommend the rum cake. The seas were rough throughout the cruise although we certainly can't blame that on RC, We did order room service and there is an automatic $7.95 charge for anything. We wanted to try the Wagou ? beef burger. I couldn't tell a difference in that and any other HB. The chicken wings were good. We tried the Windjammer several more times, and again never once was I offered assistance. Last year on Carnival, I no more than entered the buffet area (can't remember the name) when 2 or 3 attendants were there offering to carry my tray and assist me in any way. I did call customer service on the boat to complain and was told they would get back to me. The manager did call me and said they would email me with a discount offer to accommodate me. I have yet to hear from them and we have been home 7 days now. So, here are my ratings, Cabins, slight edge to RC, Carnival was slightly larger but RC more aesthetically appealing. Food in Main dining room, RC definitely wins this one by a mile. Their food was more creative, more extensive, and more delicious. Atrium, bars, pool deck etc. pretty much even both are very attractive. Entertainment both get a C- so another tie. Service, dining rooms, both were excellent. Windjammer vs Carnival's, Carnival wins by a huge amount. When you are handicapped, assistance without having to seek it out means a lot. In fact in means so much that next years cruise should I be so fortunate as to have one will be with Carnival. Personal touches out weigh age of ship etc.

One last hurrah

Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review by aint dead yet

• Sail Date: September 2017
  • Destination: Bermuda

aint dead yet’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas price drops

Cabin 2052 & 2050
Very small, but pleasant. Did not like bathroom, for a Big man like my son shower was hard to manipulate. Would have liked a grab bar by toilet
  Grandeur of the Seas Deck Plans