3. Koningsdam
We chose this 16-day Iberian cruise because the ship called on 13 different ports. We booked this back in May, so I had plenty of time to research everything and read every review, all 358, and really get a feel for what to expect. The first problem I had was with Cruise Critic's Excellent rating and the rating given by passengers. It didn't make sense until I started reading the complaints; toilet is crooked, no library, long lines, poor entertainment, smoking in the casino, etc. Let me assure you that the complaints listed are merely observations. I wasn't sure we made such a great decision to book this vessel. Don't get me wrong, some people had some legitimate issues, but for the most part, everything else I read was blown out of proportion. The toilet. I'm 6ft tall and I could sit straight on the throne, but my knees did touch the glass of the shower enclosure. Turn a little and viola, not touching. I'm quite sure this was not a design flaw, but a genius move to make the bathroom larger. No library. I've been on many a cruise and I rarely, if ever, remember someone perusing the library for the latest on the NY Times bestseller list. Come on, people. Everyone in the crow's nest had an eReader of some kind. The games were assembled a little haphazardly and no cribbage boards (brought my own). Big deal. Long lines. I'm not sure if the ship was filled to capacity, but at the market stations in the Lido Market I never had more than 2-3 people in front of me. No problems here at all. We did have to queue up for quite sometime when we handed over our passports to the Brits. I met some very nice people standing in line. Poor entertainment. Wrong. We attended 4 shows and 3 were excellent while 1 was good. The Lincoln Center performers are world class musicians. I really don't like classical music, but after listening to one of their performances, went to three more. They were fantastic. There were no dueling pianos. Bummer. BB Kings is rocking and loud and I did remember a review stating that if you got a cabin over the Queen's lounge, you would be sorry. I think they might be right as I passed in the hall over the lounge I could feel the bass quite well. Smoking in the Casino. ITS A CASINO and why did we make smokers criminals? I saw a few slot players smoking, but never smelled anything. No smoking at the tables and a few nights were smoke-free. Not an issue at all. All in all, the Koningsdam is a beautifully and tastefully appointed vessel. I'm not sure that all passengers on board were rolling in dough, but if you do have a substantial portfolio, this is the ship you want to be on. The service is great, stewards awesome, and the food is very good. We ate in the Culinary Arts, Canaletto, and Tamarind. All very good and worth the up charge. We only ate in the Dining Room twice as it takes at least an hour, maybe two and we were always uploading daily pics and planning for tomorrow. The food was very good, however, we simply didn't have the time. I did put down three burgers at Dive In. Tasty! We purchased the unlimited laundry service and the Quench drink package. Worked out perfectly as we could always grab a 1.5 literbottle of water whenever we wanted and mixers for our pre-ordered booze. I will add my own observations to help maybe make some sense of this situation. This ship has both classical and contemporary lines making up much of the musical theme found almost everywhere. I got a strong sense that older HAL cruisers were reluctant to the changes taking place. Maybe I'm wrong, but I got the impression many felt they were being pushed out. I can appreciate that, but in the meantime, enjoy this floating palace.

Perfect will just have to do!

Koningsdam Cruise Review by HawaiianGoose

• Sail Date: September 2017
  • Destination: Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: Verandah Stateroom

HawaiianGoose’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Koningsdam price drops

Verandah Stateroom
Cabin VH 4046
There are only a few of these on the ship. Get one! I calculated the entire square footage, including balcony, at 289sqft. It has a large area in the center of the room, large window and sliding glass door, making it very light inside. Awesome cabin!
Beethoven Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins