3. Norwegian Epic
Full disclosure, this was the first cruise for both my boyfriend and myself. We are a young couple in our 20s from Canada who found this cruise at the right price just 2 months before sailing. The itinerary was ideal, which is what drew us to the cruise in the first place. We were not dissapointed! The boat is massive meaning there is so much to see and do. Also, seeing as it was the first cruise of October, the weather was perfect (not scorching) and not a lot of kids running around. We never had any issue finding loungers or felt that the pool/hot tubs/water slides were too crowded. Embarkation/Disembarkation: Very smooth! No hassle whatsoever. Cabin: Amazing! You don't have to be a cruising expert to know that cruise cabins are small; but we felt NCL did a great job of maximizing storage and we had no problem unpacking all our belongings. The bathroom set up worked well for us; however, I can see how having more than 2 people in the cabin or sharing with a friend or family member that is not your SO couple get a little awkward or cramped. The bed was reasonably comfortable and about the width of a King size bed. I'm about 5' 8" and my feet hung off the edge sometimes, but it didn't bother me at all. We were on the 12th floor mid-ship and our view was spectacular! We made full use of it a few times by having continental breakfast delivered to our room to eat on our balcony while enjoying the sunrise. Our steward, Freddy, kept our room in great shape by cleaning/making it up twice a day. He always made sure we had fresh towels and were topped up on ice. I think my favourite part was him leaving us a towel animal on our bed every evening. We loved them so much we kept them on top of the cabinet behind the sofa and made a little "towel animal zoo"! (I'm still a kid at heart) Dining: Delicious! We are not accustomed to having a 3 course meal for dinner every night but I'm sure not complaining. The food was very good and there was a wide variety of options given it was a limited menu. We only did the complementary dining and I liked that the MDR menu changed every night so we never felt like we were missing out by not going to the specialty restaurants. I liked Taste and Manhattan equally. The Garden cafe buffet had a lot of options but we didn't eat much here. O'Sheehan's had a good express breakfast and delicious chicken wings, but besides that I didn't care much for the nachos or the caesar salad. It's a good spot for a quick snack or a beer but otherwise I'd pass. Entertainment: Fantastic! We made the most out of the complementary entertainment. Burn the Floor was incredible! I did dance classes growing up so I love a good dance show and this one was absolutely mind blowing, even my boyfriend thought it was really good. Priscilla was good too, very entertaining but I thought it would be funnier. It's not suitable for young children (which they make very clear with multiple announcements before the start of the show) but I think it's fine for teenagers. The vocal impressionists were entertaining and the Detroit Soul Brothers were really fun (underrated show in my opinion). Service: The staff were very friendly and said hello whenever we walked by them. As mentioned, our steward Freddy was great! The servers were well trained and the whole operation ran like a well oiled machine. We did not have the UBP so we paid for whatever drinks we wanted. They had a "drink of the day" which changed daily and was set at a cheaper price ($9 vs. $12 reg). I did this a couple times, however, on 2 separate occasions the waiter accidentally charged the full $12 price and when we corrected him, he promptly and without hassle voided the first charge and charged the correct price, which we signed for. In our opinion, accidents happen and it's how the server handles it that defines service. Overall, we had an amazing first cruise and will definitely consider cruising with NCL again. I'll be posting a more detailed review on the NCL board, so for more info and pictures check it out!

Absolutely Epic!

Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by thetravelingscientist

Embarkation/Disembarkation: Very smooth! No hassle whatsoever.

Cabin:

Dining:

Entertainment:

Service:

thetravelingscientist’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Epic price drops

Mid-Ship Balcony
Cabin BA 12209
Great view, very clean. Closer to the aft elevators.
Deck 12 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Barcelona
    We arrived the day before our cruise and wandered the sights. What a beautiful city! We did see a protest due to the political unrest happening there but we never felt unsafe.
    View All 2,229 Barcelona Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Barcelona Cruise Port Review
  • Cannes
    Beautiful little city but expensive. Glitz and Glamour sum it up nicely. We wandered the city for a few hours and enjoyed ourselves with a glass of wine on an outdoor terrace before returning to the ship to enjoy the afternoon on the pool deck.
    View All 494 Cannes Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Cannes Cruise Port Review
  • Florence Walking Tour
    This was a Florence on your own tour where all we got was a return bus transfer from Livorno to Florence. It was great! Well organized, comfortable, and on time! We were able to see the famous duomo and actually climb all the way to the top. Amazing view, highly recommend if you are able to do it! We also saw the main squares, the ponte vecchio, and ate at a delicious little restaurant "Alimentary Uffizi", which had a delicious meat and cheese platter. Florence might be my new favourite city! Can't wait to return!
    View All 124 Florence Walking Tour Reviews
  • Amalfi Coast
    Great tour! We booked through Viator. Rossi was a great guide and Marino was a talented bus driver. We were a tour of 15 people in a mini bus and we drove along the Amalifi coast stopping in Sorrento, Positano, Furore (lunch overlooking the sea included), and Amalfi. Stunning views! We also did a 1.5 h walking tour with a guide of Pompeii which was well worth it. Overall, a great day and were back to the ship well before departure.
    View All 262 Amalfi Coast Reviews
  • Pompeii Walking Tour
    As part of the Amalfi coast tour, we also did a 1.5 h walking tour with a guide of Pompeii which was well worth it. Overall, a great day and were back to the ship well before departure.
    View All 455 Pompeii Walking Tour Reviews
  • Palma de Mallorca (Majorca)
    Beach day! We spent the afternoon at PalmaNova beach. Very clean, beautiful views and delicious well-priced restaurants.
    View All 830 Palma de Mallorca (Majorca) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Palma de Mallorca (Majorca) Cruise Port Review
  • Rome on Your Own
    We booked through smartcruisetours and they set us up with a return bus transfer from Civitavecchia to Rome. We left 20min late because it seemed the tour operator was more concerned about filling up the bus than leaving on time. We didn't arrive in Rome until 11:30am and then still had to pick up the tour guide for the people staying on the bus for the full day guided tour. We were dropped off by the Colosseum, which was good but we only had about 4h to see Rome. We still saw the colosseum, palazzo vecchio, pantheon, trevi fountain, castle st angelo, and st peter's square. It was quite rushed but I'm glad we got to see it all. We were at the bus stop 10 min early but the bus was a half hour late! For people who need to get back to a cruise ship, this does not bode well. We got back to the ship with about 15min to spare before the "all aboard" time, which is a bit too close for comfort in my opinion. We will definitely be taking the train next time.
    View All 155 Rome on Your Own Reviews