3. Wind Star
I'm a Veteran, so I know the general weather of Europe in the fall. The first decision, timing of our cruise, was driven by weather. The second decision was location. We wanted a cruise which called at Patmos and Ephesus (port of Kusadasi, Turkey) in particular. The third decision was ship size. Frankly, we didn't want to live in a suburb, which is what the BIG cruise ships seem to be. Instead, we chose a small, intimate ship where we got to know people. Our decisions drove our selection, and we came to a Windstar small ship cruise. MSY WindStar has space for 148 guests, period. Our voyage was glorious. That's all I need to say. PLANNING FACTORS: We were first time cruisers, so we had a learning curve: - Laundry: Windstar's current rate is $112 per cabin for the voyage. VERY MUCH WORTH IT. My wife's bag was under 35 lbs at the airport, mine was under 30lbs. That was for 12 days of travel! - Liquor. You have a choice of three plans: $32, $52, or $72 per person per day. You have to drink a LOT for the plans to pay for themselves. THAT SAID, CAUTION: Windstar enforces a max 2 bottle per stateroom policy for liquor you bring to the ship yourself. - Internet access: GET THIS BEFORE YOU LEAVE FOR YOUR TRIP. The rate is $250 for two devices if you pre-book. It's $250 PER DEVICE if you buy on embarkation day. - Tours: If I was cruising the Rhein/Main/Danube, I'd pass on tours. I know something of where I'm going. In Greece, I took the tours, but I think I can do better. On this voyage, be wary of the full day Kusadasi-Ephesus tour. The last stop is an Oriental/Turkish carpet shop, and the sales pressure is beyond tremendous. Sorry, I just didn't have $24K budgeted. - Dining: You cannot go wrong. Period. - Ships' decor: No issues. There were a very, very few places where the ship showed she wasn't brand new, but you could see the ships' company working every day maintaining something or other!

Treasures of the Greek Isles, 30 Sep to 7 Oct 17

Wind Star Cruise Review by Anon137

• Sail Date: September 2017
  • Destination: Greece
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom

Our voyage was glorious. That's all I need to say.

PLANNING FACTORS: We were first time cruisers, so we had a learning curve:

- Dining: You cannot go wrong. Period.

Anon137’s Full Rating Summary
Get Windstar Wind Star price drops

Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom
Cabin BX 130
Cabin 130 is port side, waterline, forward of the forward watertight bulkhead. Engine noise was minimal. I've heard far louder on a jet or a train. Everything worked, and the photos you see show accurately the space you get.

We had three nights with significant seas. Being on the waterline, our pitch, yaw, and roll were less than had we been in the 200 deck. I remember Thursday night at the crew talent show, you felt the seas...really felt them. Even so, when we went to our cabin, the motion was less.

We will be back, Windstar! You earned out business.
Deck 1 Outside Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Athens (Piraeus)
    Superb embarkation experience! We had stayed at the Titania in Athens, and our taxi driver was courteous and professional.
    View All 1,227 Athens (Piraeus) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Athens (Piraeus) Cruise Port Review
  • Basilica of St. John
    A glorious day exploring a Roman era city. We first went to the House of the Virgin, then into the ancient city. It helped me understand more of Roman civilization, as well as how early Christianity grew. Finally, we came to the basilica, and I wish our guide had been Christian, not Muslim. I'm still processing on several matters of Mary and John in that regard.
    View All 26 Basilica of St. John Reviews
  • Celsus Library
    The passengers were bussed back to Ephesus to have dinner in the entry court of the Celsus library. We truly had a joyous evening. This is the highpoint of the trip in many ways.
    View All 22 Celsus Library Reviews
  • City Tour
    View All 11 City Tour Reviews
  • Mykonos
    We went on our own here. You are taken by a lifeboat serving as a tender to quayside, and the town is small enough to explore on your own. The windmills are a wonderful sight, and tea/coffee in little Venice is a must-do.
    View All 12,792 Mykonos Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Mykonos Cruise Port Review
  • Nafplion
    We went on the canal and winery tour. Fun, but I'd have loved to have spent time in Corinth, and discovered more of the history of Christianity there. Paul DID write them two letters, both published in the New Testament.

The luncheon at the winery was joyous!
    View All 25 Nafplion Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Nafplion Cruise Port Review
  • Patmos
    The monastery is a wonderful museum of Christianity, having its deed of grant from the 11th Century AD, silver and gold dating across the centuries, and vestments crafted with such skill.

The cave of the Apostle helps you understand the conditions under which he had the Revelation.
    View All 9 Patmos Cruise Port Reviews