3. Norwegian Getaway
I only booked the cruise on the Getaway because of the ports and timing. After sailing on the Epic, I did not think I would cruise on such a large ship again, but I do believe that improvements were made in the design of passageways which enabled moving throughout the ship better. As with most ships, there never seems to be enough seating space in the buffets. Most passengers seem to be avoiding the main dining rooms and my guess is because of the length of time it takes to serve the meals (for most passengers). I thought the food was pretty decent overall, and I enjoyed the meals served in Cagney's, Le Bistro, Moderno's, and the best was during the Illusionarium performance. Entertainment to me was lacking overall. Al Brown was only so-so and while the performance of Burn The Floor may have been great, it was not to my own liking. The Million Dollar Quartet was better than average, especially from the historical viewpoint (although who knows what really occurred). I missed there not being a cruise staff/cruise talent show as has occurred on all my other cruises. Embarking and disembarkation were smooth and quick. The workout space was way over-crowded on the two times I used it, but both were at-sea days which probably was the reason. I did not use the ship's excursions, opting instead to use independent companies. Granted I am a senior citizen, but very active onboard cruises, often participating in programs, contests, etc., and I feel that most activities were geared for the under 40 age group. Nearly of the music trivia centered on songs from the 70's and later. And the general trivia questions were either too difficult or too easy. The price of the cruise was fair, I think, but maybe because the date was later in the season. Service on board seemed quite good to me. The dining staff and general service by support personnel and guest services seemed quick and polite. My preference still leans overwhelmingly toward smaller ships with 2,500 or less passengers, but the Getaway was a pleasant surprise to me in that respect.

Better Than Expected

Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by texdik

• Sail Date: September 2017
  • Destination: Baltic Sea
  • Cabin Type: Inside Stateroom

Embarking and disembarkation were smooth and quick.

texdik’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Getaway price drops

Inside Stateroom
Cabin IX 11685
Cabins seem to keep getting smaller. Eighteenth cruise and while ships get larger, rooms get smaller. However, I did feel that Getaway's bathroom was nicer than any I've had previously. I'm glad they did not follow the style of Epic's cabins in that respect.
Deck 5 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins