Marella Discovery 2 Cruise Review

First timers cruisers' review of Discovery 2

Marella Discovery 2 Cruise Review by sausage35

• Sail Date: Sep 2017
  • Destination: Canary Islands

We chose this short cruise a a sampler. Just in case we weren't fussy it would not be too long. How wrong were we? My wife didn't want it too end and we both could easily have gone on for months.

The balcony cabin was all that was left when we booked late so we took it. It was nice but we didn't use it very much as there was so much to see and do around this lovely ship. There were always plenty of seating everywhere on the decks or in the lounges. When something special was on in a lounges the old time cruisers soon filled up the seating but we did learn from that.

The entertainment was great, even the amateur night when the crew gave a smash hit with more enthusiasm than skill. It was still a good bit of fun seeing the working staff having a go.

All the restaurants were good; the posher ones were better, of course, but the choice is yours to take. Wherever you eat we found the food good and varied and plenty of choice.

Although the cruise was all inclusive, I was unable to have a drink because I was on antibiotics, I enjoyed the bars and had several fruit cocktails which were OK.

Strangely enough if you had coffee in the separate coffee lounge that had to be paid for, when all the hard drinks were free it seemed odd. Also the small bar of chocolate and the small pack of Pringles in the cabin were classed as minibar items and had to be paid for.

Another thing we noticed was although all the drinks were free we didn't see any boorish drunkenness which might have spoiled things. Drinking was going on, obviously,but not in any way did it cause any problems, other than I was a bit jealous because I couldn't have one. That said I was glad to have a pint when I got home.

The staff must have a special mention. We spoke to many of them and all were lovely people, there must be horrible ones somewhere but not on Discovery 2. They could not do enough for us. We were amazed at the attention given to our room, not once a day, but twice it was attended to. They all seem to be working flat out and smiling with it.

Sufficient to say we would definitely recommend this ship and hope to take another trip in the not too distant future.

sausage35's Full Rating Summary

Cabin Balcony 6594

There is nothing I can say about this cabin that would be derogatory. The bed was large and comfortable, the sheets were beautifully clean and made up freshly each time we left the room. Storage space was plentiful, the shower was excellent and the small seating area on the balcony with its little table was great for us to use. Tea and coffee facilities were also good and the room attendant was a gem, a proper gentleman who could not do enough for us.

We had to vacate our room at 8am on the morning we were leaving. Unfortunately, we were not leaving until 7pm in the evening and anticipated problems with dragging our hand luggage around all day. This didn't happen, happily, there was provision made to deposit the hand luggage in a secure setting, knowing that the main luggage was on its way also was a perfect arrangement for our untroubled last day aboard.

Thomson seem to have thought of everything!

Great job!

Cadiz

We did our own thing in Cadiz and found it a lovely old place just to wander around. We have travelled over much of Europe before and had , in fact , been to Cadiz during our previous wanderings. We still enjoy strolling in the streets watching the street entertainers, wandering around the Cathedral and having a coffee or tea whenever we felt like a stop.

We did a bit of shopping, as you do, and then had a taxi back to the ship, a lazy way out I suppose but we were on holiday!!!

sausage35