3. Carnival Ecstasy
Absolutely loved it. Steve Cassel, Cruise Director, was wonderful as well as everyone on the Ecstasy. We ate too much, laughed constantly, and found out we could survive without cell phones or internet for 5 days. We have nothing, but praise for this crew and all staff. We only wish there were more cruises out of Texas ports. Hubby had a stroke almost 2 years ago, and started a "Bucket List" although he fully recovered and isn't kicking any bucket any time soon, HA! But it did kickstart his thinking and has given him more initiative to do new things. He doesn't snorkel well, but loved parasailing and is willing to try scuba diving where he doesn't have to think about the snorkel filling up with water. Wants to do the ATV thing next time and I want to do the horseback on the beach. Cozumel has such beautiful water and great shopping, and I could have been there for 2 days. I left Progreso after a tour with a profound reverence and gratitude for all the things that we take for granted in the USA. These people live in very poor conditions, but are warm and friendly and kind. It is Old Mexico and the prosperity of Cozumel is in sharp contrast to what you see in Progreso. I love seeing the Mayan Ruins and the history of the place, but you have to be prepared to feel a deep pain at the reality of the poverty there and at least for me, it is very humbling. I have been through New Orleans two years after Katrina and it looks better than the normal conditions of housing in most of Progreso. We take too much for granted and I pray to remember that. The time at sea is packed with things to do and see and eat. We had great weather until we headed back to Galveston. Friday was fine until about 5 p.m. About 60 mph winds kicked up and knocked out some of the Halloween entertainment plans and shows. The dancers' shows all had to be cancelled that night and Steve was so kind and kept apologizing, but I don't think anyone on that ship wanted a show with the risk the performers would have had. I teased the crew on the Lido deck by the pool that we had a brand new attraction that night, the WAVE pool!! Everyone made the best of all the things we still had left to do and I don't think anyone felt slighted by the changes that the weather caused. We all visited, the comedian went on twice instead of once, and we slept like happy babies in our bed. The weather did rock the ship a little, but it sure didn't interfere with our sleep and at no time did I get seasick, and for someone who gets carsick sometimes, that's saying something. The cabin was larger than the Royal Caribbean I went on in 2005 from Los Angeles for 4 days and hubby said same for the Royal Caribbean cruise he took from Miami in Nov. 2008 with a group he belongs to. We both agree that Carnival room was nicer, bigger, and bed was more comfortable. The Empress deck we were on is one of the busiest, but noise wasn't a problem. We had plenty of storage space and luggage fit under bed after I unloaded all that stuff I didn't need to bring, Ha! We used the stairs far more than the elevators both to save time and get the exercise, but elevators are convenient and plentiful if you want them. In fairness to Royal Caribbean we both loved their cruises as far as crew, service, food, etc. was concerned. They were good, but Carnival was better. We preferred the Carnival Ecstasy room and the crew was exceptional. We won't go to Miami at all, but may try New Orleans, Mobile, smaller port in Florida, etc., and we really want to go to Australia and Hawaii as well as other Caribbean locations that are available.My only complaint was with myself, for over-packing and not thinking about bringing our walkie-talkies. Although lack of communication accounted for over an hour of walking a day, so that offset the overeating of the good food. We can't wait for the next trip. Oh yes, getting on the ship and off and through Customs is so easy in Galveston. Hubby said Miami was awful and fellow cruisers said that avoiding Miami is best unless you are prepared for the hours it takes to board and get off at the end. I'll take their word for it, there are plenty of other smaller ports to use.

Hubby's Bucket List

Carnival Ecstasy Cruise Review by sassyredcruiser

Los Angeles for 4 days and hubby said same for the Royal Caribbean
cruise he took from Miami in Nov. 2008 with a group he belongs to. We
both agree that Carnival room was nicer, bigger, and bed was more
comfortable. The Empress deck we were on is one of the busiest, but
noise wasn't a problem. We had plenty of storage space and luggage fit
under bed after I unloaded all that stuff I didn't need to bring, Ha!
We used the stairs far more than the elevators both to save time and
get the exercise, but elevators are convenient and plentiful if you
want them. In fairness to Royal Caribbean we both loved their cruises
as far as crew, service, food, etc. was concerned. They were good, but
Carnival was better. We preferred the Carnival Ecstasy room and the
crew was exceptional. We won't go to Miami at all, but may try New
Orleans, Mobile, smaller port in Florida, etc., and we really want to
go to Australia and Hawaii as well as other Caribbean locations that
sassyredcruiser’s Full Rating Summary
Rates
Get Carnival Ecstasy price drops

Cabin E32
  Carnival Ecstasy Deck Plans

• Cozumel
    Cozumel would get my highest recommendation for the water color and clarity alone. I am a beach fanatic and love the water there. The shopping available and resort atmosphere is very commercial, but has a great local flavor too. We are looking into doing a "stay in Cozumel" vacation at a later date. I am not sure what Carnival might offer in the area of letting us cruise to Cozumel on one week and pick up a return the next week for the last part of a cruise, but we'll see.
    View All 6,872 Cozumel Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Cozumel Cruise Port Review
  • Progreso
    I would still say 4 for the history of it and the warmth of the people. I just have a hard time seeing people in the poverty that is there. Most fellow cruisers felt it is well worth taking the various excursions offered and that is probably one of the best ways to inject money into the local economy, so I would definitely go again.
    View All 472 Progreso Cruise Port Reviews