3. Westerdam
My wife and I have done numerous cruises of varying durations over the years. Our experience a few years ago on HAL Nieu Amsterdam was very positive so we confidently booked a balcony suite on Westerdam for a 24 night back to back cruise recently. The best description of the ship I can come up with is boring. We were so glad that this was not our first cruise experience because, if it was, we would have never set foot on a cruise ship again. The Positives The itinerary was very good with interesting ports and we found our cabin roomy and comfortable. Housekeeping staff were good however we have had better. The Negatives The entertainment on the ship was lacking in all respects. Three piano players, a string Quartet and a Blues Club that was good once or twice but not every night. There were acts on the main stage most nights. Being a back to back passenger we basically got the same shows repeated on the second leg. Same jokes etc etc. ....Boring! Navigation Deck is extremely noisy. Furniture on the deck above is dragged around day and night and we were frequently woken by the rumbling noise when the roof over the pool was closed or opened. The dining room food is reasonable but lacks variety and this only gets worse in the Lido Buffet. Quite often I saw empty trays in the buffet where on previous ships the trays were changed well before getting anywhere near empty. The Lido could be best described as a department store cafeteria that you would find in any big city. Visiting once or twice would be fine but not daily for 24 days. Activities around the ship are kept to an absolute minimum and sail-a-way parties and theme nights with entertainment non existent. There is no way I could give this ship a pass nor could I recommend it to future travellers however I am sure the quiet ambiance of the ship appeals to some people. I feel it is probably best suited to elderly passengers who are not after nightlife, are happy curling up with a good book and prefer their food a little less adventurous.

Very disappointing