3. Grand Princess
We chose this cruise as we could drive to San Fran..., no flying necessary. It also had a very good price point, and we managed to get a stern facing balcony stateroom (see my review on that). My wife had done the Mexican Riviera in her "prior life", 25 years previously, but I had never been. She was excited to show me, so this was a natural fit for us. Overall, we had a great time. The ship is showing some age, but is still elegant and beautiful. The staff was amazing. We've cruised Princess once before, and this was about on par with that. I consider Princess a mid range cruise, and was certainly a good value. I did splurge for the drink package and made good use of that! Positives: As mentioned above, the staff was great in every department. Overall, the food was very good but not great. The exception was the Crown Grill, which was worth every penny! We liked all the venues, and enjoyed "Anytime Dining", although we only went twice. The Pizzaria is excellent. We did two shore excursions through Princess, and both were excellent. Embarkation and Disembarkation were both the smoothest we've ever experienced. Negatives: INTERNET!!!! Not cheap and extremely slow! We could not get email to work on our iPads, both would freeze up after trying to access it. The best bet was to use their computers in the Internet Café, and while those actually worked, they too were slow. If you decide you can't live without internet, buy a LOT of minutes and be prepared to be patient. Sabatinis was a huge disappointment, especially given that we had to pay extra for it. They have a sign out front touting their homemade pasta..., but had very little pasta on the menu. Service was good, but the food was mediocre at best. I'm sure some of it was our expectation to have an awesome Italian (i.e., pasta) dinner and there were virtually no pasta options. Entertainment, it was disappointing in terms of the production shows. The magician was excellent, and the onboard events were fun, but we gave up on going to the big shows. Given the price we paid (very low), it was a good value and we certainly enjoyed ourselves, and just adapted around the negative areas.

A very easy cruise for us

Grand Princess Cruise Review by KailuaAl

• Sail Date: September 2017
  • Destination: Mexican Riviera
  • Cabin Type: Premium Balcony

Positives:

As mentioned above, the staff was great in every department.

We did two shore excursions through Princess, and both were excellent.

Embarkation and Disembarkation were both the smoothest we've ever experienced.

Negatives:

KailuaAl’s Full Rating Summary
Get Grand Princess price drops

Premium Balcony
Cabin B4 D734
Our first aft facing cabin, and it was great! We loved the view off the back, especially when we could see the coastline (which was not all the time). The balcony was oversized and extra deep, and had a couple recliner chairs and small table. We spend a good deal of time just chilling and reading and enjoying a cocktail and our books. I also brought our Bluetooth speaker and played music from my iPad while we relaxed.

The room itself was perfect sized. It is the same as the other balcony staterooms, and has an efficient layout. While not huge, we were able to unpack all of our things and did not trip over each other. And our steward did a great job keeping it nice and fresh. There is also a small fridge, which was great for keeping our water bottles cold!

The only drawback is the design of the stern of the ship is such that it is built so the deck above us actually stuck out farther than ours did, which meant we did not get much sun. But that was OK, as we got plenty of sun on the trip in other venues!
Caribe Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins