3. Oasis of the Seas
We were celebrating our 50th Wedding Anniversary and looking forward to visiting the islands. We requested a salt free diet and always on RCL we meet with the Head Waiter each night prior to dinner to go over the menu and select meals that can be made without salt. However, on Oasis of the Seas, this task is left to the waiter - unfortunately, our waiter was clueless on which foods come naturally with salt - and every evening was unable to remember what our table guests had ordered. On more than one occasion he served my husband food laden with salt. The Head Waiter apologized, but it was too little too late. My husband suffered fluid build up around his lungs and had trouble breathing. After two days of slowly getting worse - even though we stopped going to the dining room - he went to the doctor and was placed din the hospital's ward for most of the day - the doctor treated him for the fluid and did manage to reduce the swelling and eased his breathing. We lost 3 days of our celebration cruise - spent it in the cabin - horrendous. We did receive a note of apology from the Head Waiter acknowledging the mistake. We received a bill for $1,200 from the doctor. I requested a meeting with the Officer in charge of food and beverage as well as guest services. On the last day of the cruise I was invited to address my concern. The F&B Manager had spoken with the Head Waiter who indicated that my husband had been served the correct food and that only on one occasion was there a "mistake". I produced the card of apology and then the F&B Manager asked why I waited 3 days to go to the doctor and pointed out that I signed a form saying that I would pay for medical services. This added insult to injury - I did notice that not one of the other three Officers made any comments - not sure why, but if I had been an Officer and listened to the F&B Manager, I would have been most disturbed that he tried to cover up the problem and put the onus on my husband. This is no indication of the excellent dining room service afforded us on all other RCL ships - we are Diamond members and have thoroughly enjoyed working with the Head Waiters - who do know which foods can accommodate sodium free diets - and who do have knowledgeable waiters. The F&B Manager said that as a "courtesy" to me being a loyal Diamond member, he would refund the $1,200. I did not consider this a "courtesy" at all - and was furious when I left the meeting. Needless to say, our 50th Wedding Anniversary was one we will never forget - I've seen more than enough of our cabin on Oasis of the Seas to last me a lifetime. If you do have need of a special diet - do not tolerate inefficient and incompetent waiters - make sure you ONLY meet with the Head Waiter each night to review dinner for the following evening. Make sure he or she understands which foods have natural salt - ask questions - reconfirm every night that each item you are served contains no foods like ham, etc. If you know that you have not been served salt free items, report it to the Food and Beverage Manager and insist that you are moved to another table. Our table guests were all Diamond and Diamond Plus members - and each one of them had problems with incorrect meals. It is a shame that the waiter - who claimed to have 17 years under his belt - is allowed to risk the lives of RCL's guests. For the first 3 days, we enjoyed all the amenities of the Oasis of the Seas - although the ports of call were changed, we have cruised them many times, so were not too upset that we went to Mexico instead of St. Martin and San Juan (due to Hurricane Irma). We found the entertainment superb - although we only managed to see "Cats" (a production that surpasses Broadway) and the diving show - having over 6,000 passengers it was amazing that the shows were not crowded. Our cabin was wonderful - bed was extremely comfortable and entire cabin was cleaned each day by a steward that we rarely managed to see. Being in the center of the ship was also a plus (we had booked this cruise the previous year while on board another Royal Caribbean cruise and the representative chose the cabin for us) It was delightful to relax around the ship during the day. There were always enough lounge chairs around the pools and spas - and the solarium was a great place to relax sans children!!!! Having a merry-go-round and outdoor fun interactive giant busses, boats, etc., for the children to have fun was great for grandparents who brought their grandchildren - add ice skating and the water park was enough to keep children happy throughout the day. Although we were not able to enjoy more than a few days on the ship, we will continue cruising with Royal Caribbean - but will make absolutely sure on the next occasion that we meet initially with the Head Waiter, the Chef, the Food and Beverage Manager - and the Waiter (making sure the waiter is equipped to handle passengers with special needs). In addition, I would suggest that if you are going to eat from the buffet, you also speak personally with the chef so that your food can be specially prepared.

Excellent Entertainment

Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by Manchester United

Manchester United’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas price drops

Excellent location and steward - never saw him but he knew when we left and had everything cleaned and spotless.
  Oasis of the Seas Deck Plans