3. Celebrity Solstice
Well, we had waited so long to go on this cruise it was beyond exciting to get underway. We went a day early and stayed at the Hotel San Georgio in Cittivecchia. Great hotel, great room. We took the advice of so many on this forum and used Stephan from RomeCabs to pick us up at the airport. We had a problem with the luggage at the airport and waited almost two hours for our bags, the driver waited for us. A real surprise and load off my mind. (we could not get out of the secure area and then back in so we could not communicate with the driver and I had no phone). Kudos to RomeCabs and I used them twice more during our vacation. We met so many people on the Cruise Critic forums, so much information and so many tips and so many shared experiences. One kind person (Hertha) arranged for dinner at a local restaurant the night before the cruise and it was a pleasure to meet her and her Husband Sal as well some others. It was good fun meeting them all while having great food, wine and service to begin our vacation. Throughout, it is really a pleasure to meet people who are all happy. Is this what a cruise does? Put people in a happy frame of mind. Fantastic, I want more of this! The Ship Wow! I really did not know what to expect and could not have imagined such a large and beautiful ship. We got to the dockside at 1PM and everything went so smooth, we were in our cabin within 20 minutes. Again Wow...the cabin was fantastic. I have stayed in lots and lots of hotels a lot worse than this cabin. Champagne and fruit plate waiting for us was a real treat. Time for a walkabout... We began to tour the ship and all either of us could say was look at this..look at that,... hey over here...no no,... over there. It was really something beyond my imagination. The photos folks have posted just do not portray what this ship is. It has to be seen and experienced. After a few hours of sightseeing on the ship we realized we had an appointment. We went on to a Cruise Critic sail away get together at the sunset bar and it was a great turnout. Met some more of the people we had been talking on the forum with and got to know each other a bit. We were all discussing the plans we had in the upcoming 10 days and they were as varied as the folks on board. I was really pleased that the atmosphere on board was full of fun. Folks were really looking forward to a good time and throughout the cruise, this became evident. The next thing we knew it was time for dinner. The meals, well, the meals in my opinion were outstanding. There was always enough selection to please me for sure and my Wife just wanted to try everything. Clearly, restraint is not something anyone ever suggested on these forums but it should be mentioned that willpower training would be an asset LOL. We ate at Murano and the Tuscan Grill as well and, they are as good as any high end restaurant anywhere. Food was just excellent anywhere we ate. The service, everywhere on the ship, was impeccable. There is never a lack of trying to please the passenger. As I said, it was our first cruise so we did not expect this high level of service. Everyone greeted us with a smile and at least a hello. There are so many places on the ship that you can go to relax, to have a drink, to watch people go by, to be by yourself, to watch the scenery, to eat and to have a nap that it seems that sometimes there are only a few passengers on board. In fact, the cruise was sold out. It is a very well planned vessel. Our cabin was just as good as it can get. There was plenty of room for both of us as well as our tremendously over stuffed and over packed luggage. You see, I didn't listen to all the proper advice that was given by those very smart cruisers on Cruise Critic LOL. It was a wise choice to get a veranda and yes, it was real good having coffee and a croissant on out on the balcony in the mornings. Not to say that sitting out there in the evenings with a glass of wine was bad.... The Ports The ports, well, I can only say that the places we stopped were exactly what we wanted to see. The Mediterranean is so historic, so rich in culture, antiquities, variety, full of warmth and friendliness. Exactly the things to do that we imagined and more. Exactly the foods we wanted to taste and more and exactly the people we wanted to experience and yes, more. So much has already been said about all the ports so our opinions would be redundant, repetitive and probably would not do them justice.... The End,.... Unfortunately In essence, this has been the ultimate escorted "bus" tour. We unpacked once in luxurious surroundings and everyday woke up in a place we had never been or seen. For sure, it was our excellent adventure. Has this cruise line got us hooked on cruising? Well, like some folks we met said to us, "we have one on the go, one booked and, one in the planning stages at all times". My Wife and I are in the final stages of planning a second cruise next year with an eye on one shortly thereafter with our Family. I guess Celebrity has me hooked with this experience. (must be great bait they are using LOL). I am trying to think of a word I have not yet used to describe our vacation but cannot. It was just what we needed! Pete

Solstice - The First Cruise Ever

Pete
pete_coach’s Full Rating Summary
Rates
Get Celebrity Solstice price drops

As this is our first cruise, I really have no comparison. There is enough storage room for even first time over packed cruisers. The view from the 10th deck is spectacular, we could see the Bridge wing and upon docking and departure could see the crew working hard in their tasks, That was interesting. The service is impeccable.
  Celebrity Solstice Deck Plans