Magellan Cruise Review

Fjords

Magellan Cruise Review by elaineO21

• Sail Date: Sep 2017
  • Destination: Norwegian Fjords

We chose this cruise because we got an excellent deal and it was sailing from Newcastle. We weren't sure what to expect with it being an older ship but were pleasantly surprised by decor and cabin. I must congratulate the Port of Tyne for their efficiency, having been guided to a parking space, our luggage was removed from the car for us and taken to our cabin. Check-in was very quick and we were bussed to the ship and were onboard within 30 minutes of arriving at the port. We were shown to our cabin and then advised lunch was available in the Bistro if we wanted it.

We found the food excellent and being diabetic was invited to a talk with head chef Shone who advised those of us with dietary concerns what the process was so they could provide us with the type of food we needed. Our table stewards were made aware of our needs and I had no problems receiving sugar free options. There was also a special dietary needs counter in the bistro.

The entertainment was very good and theatre was full every evening.

When I boarded the ship I had a shoulder problem, so availed myself of two hot stone massages which helped. The second massage was done by a physiotherapist who when she finished gave me exercises to do. Since then my shoulder has been virtually pain free.

We would certainly sail on Magellan again especially when she sails fron Newcastle. Disembarkation was as efficient as embarkation and we were home in just under an hour of leaving the ship.

elaineO21's Full Rating Summary

Cabin Superior outside 6043

Cabin was warm and spacious with plenty of storage, bathroom was a good size, it wasn't cramped. Our steward was efficient and helpful.

Eidfjord

Beautiful village, good for walking, which we enjoyed

Flam

The railway was one of the reasons we booked this cruise having been to Flam on a previous cruise, but could not fit the railway in, in the time we had. Wonderful views that were spoiled by the torrential rain we had that day. Would love to try it in the winter.

Bergen

We didn't leave the ship as I had booked Spa treatments that day

Newcastle (England)

Newcastle was where we embarked, so we went straight to the port as it is only approx 50 minutes from where we live. We would recommend Newcastle to anyone who hasn't visited before

elaineO21