3. Norwegian Breakaway
We chose the cruise because we found out we had CruiseNext deposits expiring in November. We had taken this cruise about 3 years ago and thought it would be fun to do it again. Personally, we like embarking from NYC since our son lives there so we get a mini visit with him on both ends of the cruise. Embarkation in New York was the fastest we have ever experienced. We went through security and had to ask which way to go next. Our area seemed to be Haven only, but it was ours, too. After getting our health form, we moved so quickly there was no time to fill it out, so we did while we were getting out cabin key cards. We had a new trainee checking us in, and that slowed us down by about a minute but I think we went from Uber to onboard in about 15 minutes. Disembarkation went as well as possible. We put our bags out by 11 on Saturday night, vacated our cabin by 9:00 am and went to the buffet with the carryon bags. The only problem was hearing them call the groups to disembark. Some of the areas he signs that said, but the buffet did not. We were one of the last groups to be called so it was quite a long line getting to the final checkout but we walked off the ship pretty quickly. Our baggage was altogether in the "Blue" area. We got that and customs was quite speedy. And, we were out on the street. Our son and fiancé met us and we were in an Uber within about 10 minutes. The cabin was what we expected it to be. Not super-large, but on par with other cruises. The bed was very comfy and possibly king-size. We had hurricane conditions for most of the sea days and the closet doors would rock back and forth on their rollers and slam into the opposite wall. Very noisy at night until we used backpacks as stoppers. One thing that was new to me was the inclusion of used sharps containers in the cabin bathroom and around the ship. I'm on daily injections now and it would have been good to know this before investing in travel-sized sharps containers. One morning, there was an issue with non-flushing toilets. My DH complained and it turned out someone had put something in the toilet that shouldn't have been there. Guest services sent us chocolate covered strawberries and wine for his efforts We didn't do any of the entertainment or activities this time. The ones we were interested in we did last time around and this year, most of the activities were closed due to some serious hurricane activity. The pools were usually closed as were the rock-climbing wall, ropes course and many of the decks. We did enjoy sitting in the comfy chairs on Deck 8 when the cushions were available, though. We love Bermuda, which is partly why we chose this particular cruise. Unfortunately, due to the hurricanes (Jose and Maria), we left a day early. I particularly like the new NCL ferry to St. George. That was very convenient and saved us some money. We did an excursion, but not through NCL, although the same one was offered through them. We were supposed to go out on Friday, on the Rising Son but, when we learned that our ship was leaving port on Thursday afternoon, I contacted them to cancel. They offered us a Thursday morning snorkel trip, which I accepted. Had we been on the same excursion as offered by NCL, it would have cost us more money at the outset but it would have been automatically canceled, so we would have missed out. We did not travel with children. We would go again in a heartbeat!

Despite hurricanes and choppy seas, we had a great time.

Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by Mairzy Doats

• Sail Date: September 2017
  • Destination: Bermuda
  • Cabin Type: Aft-Facing Balcony Stateroom

We did not travel with children.

We would go again in a heartbeat!
Mairzy Doats’s Full Rating Summary

Aft-Facing Balcony Stateroom
Cabin B1 14274
The cabin was what we expected it to be. Not super-large, but on par with other cruises. The bed was very comfy and possibly king-size. We had hurricane conditions for most of the sea days and the closet doors would rock back and forth on their rollers and slam into the opposite wall. Very noisy at night until we used backpacks as stoppers. One thing that was new to me was the inclusion of used sharps containers in the cabin bathroom and around the ship. I'm on daily injections now and it would have been good to know this before investing in travel-sized sharps containers. One morning, there was an issue with non-flushing toilets. My DH complained and it turned out someone had put something in the toilet that shouldn't have been there. Guest services sent us chocolate covered strawberries and wine for his efforts.
Deck 14 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins