• Newsletter
  • Cruise Tips

Norwegian Jewel Review

Editor Rating
16 Awards

Wish I had listened to the reviews and not booked

Review for Norwegian Jewel to Hawaii
Rklcs
6-10 Cruises • Age 50s

Value for Money

Sail Date: Sep 2017
Cabin: Mid-Ship Oceanview Picture Window

I read a review saying "First and last" and I could not agree more. Wish I had listened. From the food that was on par with school cafeteria to the bed and pillows that make rocks seem cozy, to the staff who could care less that there were no paper towels or soap in the public washrooms. The ONLY good thing was a Client Service desk woman named Amie. She was actually concerned about the lack of soap and towels and too immediate action. She also followed up - she was a rare and unique staff member.

While eating in O'sheehans (shall I recite the menu?it never changed) we noticed a staff member taking the meat off a meal, putting it in a zip lock baggies and putting it under the counter. When we brought this to the hostess's attention her comment was "maybe he was hungry" I was really baffled so we informed some at the Customer service desk - she said "maybe he wanted to try it" - unbelievable!! We talked to another staff member who said, "what you get is better than what we get" So, if we were eating sub-par food, what the heck is the staff getting that they need to steal food? Since no one seemed shocked or surprised- it must be common.

The daily paper with events of the day consistently had lots of errors - more "I'm sorry " but what I found upsetting most about this daily occurrence was the staff in the area that had the wrong event info - they had to take the anger and frustration of guest after guest as they tried to explain the area. No wonder the staff seemed so frustrated and uncaring.

Mid-Ship Oceanview Picture Window

Cabin OB

When you sit on the toilet and your toes touch the wall in front of you - it is a problem.

The toilet flushing system was so loud that if my spouse got up in the middle of the night and flushed it scared me half to death out of a dead sleep.

Our beds were made into one, and on one side of the bed the desk was right up against the edge of the bed - no clear passage. Wiggle squirm and get bruises that lined up with the desk edge.

Beds were hard as rocks and so were the pillows. We actually asked for 2 more comforters and tried adding those under our sheet - it was some help - but not much.

Our cabin Stewart who we never saw, was effective and if we left a note asking for something (like ice or another pillow) it was there.

The room was clean.