Enchantment of the Seas Cruise Review
1,986 Reviews

This cruise gave me cause to rethink my loyalty to RCCL

Enchantment of the Seas Cruise Review by RHC723

• Sail Date: Oct 2009
  • Destination: the Western Caribbean

I have cruised many times in the past 10 years but not in the past 5 so I turned to my "preferred" cruise line when a quick and easy getaway was called for this past month. Living in South Florida I have a choice of itineraries and ships but chose the Enchantment for the length (5 days, not too long, not too short) and the fact that it only had one sea day -- I prefer to be out and about on shore. I knew full well that the Enchantment, while stretched and refurbished a short 4 years ago, was still an older ship without a lot of the bells and whistles of the newer ones, therefore I set reasonable expectations based on the age and ship class.

Going in parts:

Cabin: The room was small -- no surprise there -- but manageable. The cabin attendant was terrific. The upholstery was stained and very worn. The drawers were cracked and dirty in places. Time for an update.

Food: Having cruised RCCL many times previously, I found the quality to have slipped a bit. Portion sizes in the MDR are small, but then again, with all the food available the individual portion size really is a non-issue. The menu is relatively uninspired. Prime rib was on the menu two nights, but the first night it was the size of the palm of your hand so it was a bit misleading. There were many rich quiches and vegetable tarts which seems to be a remnant of a 1980s menus. Starches tend to be the ubiquitous mashed potatoes. There was a lobster tail on the last night (not the formal night) but it was very small. You can have two and if you are a lobster fan you may want to as they are very small. We did go to Chops one night. It is a great value overall, but the filet was overcooked (I ordered it medium rare) and overly salty. I like salty food so for me to say it was too salty was something. I could not eat more than 1/3 of it due to the salt and overcooking. In retrospect I should have sent it back...

Entertainment: The in-house musical acts are kitschy, but that is to be expected. Otherwise, there was a comedian, musician and a Beatles cover band. I think that on the 5-day cruises you are less apt to get name acts than on 7-day cruises and longer.

Service: No issues with the waitstaff or cabin attendant, but I did have an onboard credit due to a price drop that was not honored on board. Fortunately I had the name of the person I spoke to at RCCL's customer service department as well as his name. However, even with that information, they refused to honor it. The corporate office did not want to honor the price drop credit issued by its authorized customer service representative despite all my supporting information. I had to waste a good half hour at the customer relations desk on 4 out of the 5 days of the trip fighting for my credit. I ultimately got it, however the entire situation was handled poorly by guest relations and this issue marred what was otherwise a nice trip overall.

Ports: Ports are what you make of them. To each their own so no comment here other to say that the ruins at Lamanai in Belize were interesting, albeit a very long trek there and back.

Activities: I don't tend to participate in many shipboard activities as I go into port but on the sea day I actually went to an activity that was printed in the cruise compass as well as announced on the loudspeaker. Despite all that, no one from the cruise staff showed up to run the activity. I spoke to 2 cruise director staff members in the area and no one seemed to be able to explain why the activity person was a no show nor did they make much effort to lift up a phone to find out. I even went to the guest relations desk and they were like a deer-in-headlights. After 40 minutes, I just walked away from that meeting area - without ever having gotten an explanation of why they didn't run that activity. Other people came and left as well.

Overall: For a quick getaway this trip ticked all the boxes, just don't expect a shiny new ship with innovative features, new upholstery or inspired activities or food. There were lots of out-of-towners, but for a local this quick cruise was fine, easy and inexpensive, albeit nothing truly memorable. The problems I experienced will definitely cause me to take a closer look at Carnival, HAL, or Princess next time my vacation plans call for cruising. (For what it is worth, I heard many a complaint when I was waiting to disembark as well as the many times I was on line during my cruise trying to get them to honor the credit.)

RHC723's Full Rating Summary