3. Disney Dream
Did we have a good time? Yes. Could the cruise have been better? OH, YES! Would we do it again? Only when we have a grandchild to take along, in three or four years. Was it over priced compared to a normal cruise? Not just YES, but Heck YES? Did we feel we were treated well? Depends on who on the ship we are talking about; some folks were really wonderful, others were horrible. Did Disney’s Treatment meet our expectations? Again, it depends on who you are talking about---the customer service folks before the cruise, the customer service (Purser’s office) on the ship, the cabin attendant, or the folks in the dining rooms or bars---or the folks at Port Canaveral who got us on the ship. Let’s take it bit by bit. Our reservations guy was wonderful. If you need a good reservation agent, go to Vacations-to-go and ask for Finn. He is terrific. Got us exactly the room located where we wanted it. Disney’s pre-cruise “customer service” needs MAJOR overhaul. They don’t know a thing about the ships offerings, when it comes to electrical power for medical devices in the cabins, they know nothing about food offerings for people who are Gluten intolerant, and they really don’t seem to care about customers. That is a hard thing to say, especially about a Disney company, but it is true. 1. They told us there were outlets on both sides of the bed for CPAP medical devices. Wrong! There was one outlet on one side of the bed. [To be fair; that is an improvement over most cruise ships. But, what they told us was WRONG ---and that (as Edith Ann always said), “Is the Truth!”]---so lousy pre-cruise information. 2. We are both Celiacs---i.e. we are gluten intolerant & they also told us we couldn’t eat anywhere except in the main dining rooms. Wrong! Anywhere on the ship we went when we asked we were told, “OF COURSE, we can take care of you.” So, another WRONG! 3. They really need to do some staff training for their call center. Their email replies to need to be reviewed by managers, who actually know about the ship, so they can correct incorrect information. Boarding: Usual herd operation with a difference---there is a Disney character on hand---to greet people and have photos taken with them. The actual ‘processing’ was about the same. Show your passport, get a card, and off you go right onto the ship. Couldn’t have been easier, and with the character there entertaining all, actually a bit fun. Then, you get ON the ship. Greeting you and welcoming you is terrific. Very nice” line up” saying, “Welcome Bill and Gwen.” Of course, our ‘boarding time’ was 13:15 and the last ships tour was at 13:30. So, we missed that, and were lost most of the cruise. There really should be a ships tour at 14:00, 14:30 and 15:00 to get late boarders (did I mention they ASSIGN you a boarding time?) a chance to explore the ship. It is a big, beautiful ship. It has lots of ‘adult’ areas---if you either stumble on them (as we did) or find them ahead of time in the ‘Ship Information’ online. Which mentions The District’ (four or five bars and dancing), and the Meridian Bar at the stern, but doesn’t really give enough information about them. We did enjoy the pool and hot tubs in the adult only area of the foredeck. We did enjoy the bar that was open there during the day; we would have enjoyed the second bar that had gluten free tap beer---but it didn’t open until 17:00---and we were looking for a drink at 13:00; not very nice scheduling, we thought. There is a nice bar in the main atrium of the ship. The bar tender there really didn’t know how to make a dry martini. Even when I carefully & fully exactly explained how I wanted it made. Unfortunately, she’ll probably never learn, since the tip is built in---not added on---so she’ll never be punished for doing it wrong. There are great Disney shops toward the bow; expensive, but nice. There are lots of opportunities for folks with kids or grand-kids to enjoy meeting ‘Characters’ and ‘Princesses’ which looked just great. We are looking forward to bringing our little “Princess” when she is five or six. We loved watching them and thought, “we’ll be there in a few years!’ Our dining experience---unlike what 800 customer service warned us about---couldn’t have been better. We first went up to the buffet and asked if we could get anything eat, being Celiacs. “Of Course!” (to our surprise!), they said. A Maitre’d appeared, asked us what we’d like, and had an attendant go back into the kitchen and got us exactly what we wanted. No problem at all! When we got to the main dining room, they gave us a table for two (really appreciated, since we get so tired of explaining what gluten intolerance is), right by the wall, and gave us an incredible meal. AND---it was my wife’s birthday cruise---and the turtle (from Finding Nemo---Crush) came around and wished my wife Happy Birthday! Lead the section in singing Happy Birthday to her. Incredible! One note on main dining: You change dining rooms daily, but you KEEP your Matre’de, your waiter, and your assistant waiter. Our Maitre’d --- Rexson --- was terrific. He made our cruise really special. Our waiter ---Emile---and assistant waiter---Aziz--- were also terrific---so attentive, so nice, so caring. So careful, to see we got nothing but Gluten Free. Including! Ta-Da! Gluten Free donuts at breakfast! Gluten Free waffles at breakfast! Gluten Free blueberry pancakes at breakfast! OMG! Can I just LIVE on this ship? And dinner---we had French Onion soup---Gluten Free bread covered with wonderful dripping cheese. We had Escargot that was so tender and so garlicy that it was just incredible. And, gluten free hot rolls or bread each meal. We were in paradise! Our cabin (9664) was very comfy. Our Cabin Stewart (name we can’t remember) was just wonderful. Two sinks in two bathrooms. Each is a ½ bath actually; but with a difference. One has the shower (& larger sink area) --- immediately claimed by my wife; and one has the water closet (& adequate sink area) --- which I was happy to have. The room ‘may’ be a bit smaller as a result; we couldn’t tell if it was. Didn’t seem like it… The balcony seemed the same size and was nice to get some fresh air or watch the sea go by. It had a nice door that slide sideways, instead on inward, which was also nice. Our problem with CPAP breathing machines sent me down to the pursers desk/customer service. They didn’t have an extension cord (you are forbidden to bring your own extension cord or power strip in “The Rules,” sent before the cruise) but they did offer a power strip. For a $50.00 deposit unless, you returned it at the end of the cruise. I returned mine, before the 08:00 “GET OUT OF THE ROOM” deadline---and they’d charged it to my American Express--- anyway. Still dealing with that issue… Other folks we found incredible on the ship included Claudette in The Pink Bar (Champagne) and Stephan in the Meridian Bar at the stern. She really knows her bubbly and found one my wife loved. Stephan was a master of Scotch (my weakness) and introduced me to a wonderful smoky single malt I’d not before found (& I’ve visited Scotland). Both were terrific. FYI---it is really NOT a three day cruise----it is two & ½ or ¾ days but three nights. Breakfast on debarkation day is at 0615! Is there a world at 0615? Are you kidding me? Off the ship by 10:00, since you don’t board until noon---that is not three days---on the Dream.

Great Ship! Gluten Free Meals are Wonderful! Service before Stinks

Disney Dream Cruise Review by AFFirstSgt

• Sail Date: September 2017
  • Destination: Bahamas
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Family Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah

AFFirstSgt’s Full Rating Summary

Deluxe Family Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah
Cabin 04D 9664
Advertised as having 'restricted view' because of a port hole sized opening. Nothing could be further from reality. There was a solid part; with no balcony next door, but other than that standard. Really nice cabin, with two 1/2 baths, one with sink and tub/shower, the other with sink and water closet. Really great idea! Don't think it made cabin smaller that we could see but hope others follow the design. BOTH persons can have a sink and spread out stuff without being in the others way. Bed was very comfy, only one outlet (not two as we'd been told) for our CPAP machines and they forbid you to bring on an extension cord or power strip. So I borrowed one ($50 dollar deposit!) and we got by. Still fighting (I returned it) for the deposit refund.
Lots of storage; two chests of drawers, two nice closets. Interesting 'lighting' you can adjust for mood. Or just to be able to see. IF you know how; hold the button until it brightens (5-10 seconds). You need a room card in the box by the door for anything to work; bring one from a hotel and just leave it in.
Mini Refrigerator which YOU can use; it is not pre-filled with stuff you don't want to buy. Hair dryer for my lady. So you can bring water bottles of your own. Terrific Cabin Care by our Stewart. Just great.
Deck 6 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins