• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19
  • Write a Review
  • Boards
  • Log In
  • Find a Cruise
  • Deals
  • Excursions
  • More

Liberty of the Seas Review

4.0 / 5.0
Editor Rating
2557 reviews
23 Awards

First Time Cruising Royal Caribbean

Review for Liberty of the Seas to the Western Caribbean
User Avatar
First Time Cruiser

Rating by category

Public Rooms
Fitness & Recreation

Additional details

Sail Date: Oct 2009

We sailed on the Liberty of the Seas October 17 and our ports of call were Haiti, Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel Mexico. We flew out of Dulles Washington Saturday morning and arrived in Miami around 8:40. We signed up for the shuttle through Royal so we waited around once getting our luggage for about an hour or so. Once on the shuttle they took us to the ship which took about 10 minutes. They dropped us off and we were on the ship in about 20 minutes. We did not have to wait in any lines at all!!! Once on the ship it was about 12:00 and they said that our rooms wouldn't be ready until 1:00. We went downstairs to deck 6 we had a balcony adjoining room (there was another couple that went with us and there was an adjoining door and the balcony dividers came unlocked so we had one big balcony which was really nice)just to check it out and drop off our carry on. The rooms are excellent. We went back upstairs to the Windjammer where they had a buffet set up for lunch. We grabbed a table and ate and just sat and relaxed for a bit. We then went back down to our room and I wiped everything down with my own Lysol wipes and we relaxed on the balcony some and went back to see where our table we located in the dining room. I would have much rather preferred a window table but the wait to speak to the Maitre D' was way toooo long so we just kept our table. For our muster drill we didn't have to wear our life jackets which was a plus because it was really humid and hot outside. So after the drill we went back to our room for the sail away party. The next day we were at sea so we slept in and walked around the ship some more and went to the gym not too much this day. Also this was your first Formal night. Monday we were at Haiti, Royal's Private island and we waited about 10 to get off the ship because I heard that the tendering could be a bit overcrowded. We had to wait maybe 20 minutes to get on a boat but the lines seemed to be moving fairly quickly. Once on the island we didn't book an excursion so we headed straight to the beach. The chairs were provided which was nice. They had the locals there with their shops and I felt very overwhelmed with how they pressure you regardless how many times you say no they just keep pushing so we had had enough and went back to lay on the beach. The water was VERY rocky you will defiantly need your water shoes if you plan to get in the water we were at the beach in the middle not when you get right off the ship. Royal provided a lunch on the island with chicken, hamburgers, hot dogs pretty much what would be in the windjammer for the buffet. I particularly did not like the food for lunch the dinner menu was ok but I defiantly think that Carnival has Royal beat when it comes to food. Make sure you get a Labadooze when you are here!!! Next was Jamaica and we docked here so you could just walk right off the ship. We did the excursion to go to Dunn's River Falls which is a must and to purchase the DVD $40 we ended up getting it and splitting the cost with the other couple and burned it when we got home!!! Once the excursion was over we wanted to go walk around and explore the island. BAD IDEA. The people there harassed you constantly. We saw a lady laying on the sidewalk with nothing on except for a t-shirt. Everywhere you turned they were right there and would not leave you alone. So we went back to the ship. Wednesday was Grand Cayman and we had to tender again. The previous night the boat was a little rocky and they said that this was due to the high winds. It rained all day this day so we took a bus tour and went to the rum cake factory, to see the dolphins and then she showed us the housing area. I didn't really care for this island to much. This was the second formal night. Next was Cozumel (my hubby's b-day!!) we booked through Dolphin Discovery the Royal Dolphin Swim so we took a taxi to the park and the weather was perfect. This is the best part of the whole trip!! It was absolutely amazing!!! After this we just went to some of the local stores and hung around until it was time to get back on the ship. I had booked a reservation at 7:00 for Portino's the Italian Restaurant and this was the best meal on the ship. It was $20 per person was worth every penny. He got the Lobster Skewer for his Main Course and he said it was great! Friday was our last day at sea and we were sooo sad!! We got up went downstairs and paid for our pictures. I really didn't care for how Royal did their pictures you could only buy the 8x10's and they didn't have any sort of package deal and only had one photo album to choose from. Carnival had various options along with several albums. Afterwards we went to the pool and hung out there for the rest of the afternoon until it was time to go to dinner. We got back from dinner packed our bags and set them outside. :-( Must Do's: There is a pizza restaurant on the same floor as the promenade that is a must. If you can't find anything for lunch at the buffet eat there!! My husband was soo funny most nights we would go see a show then go to the Catacombs (a night club) and on our way back to our room he always had to stop by and get a slice of pizza one night my friends went in and they asked where he was!!! The shows on the ship were good. I didn't not like the late night comedian I thought that he was a joke. The ice skating show was amazing. And there was a group from Las Vegas that was incredible they did a wonderful job. Our waiter in the main dinning room was Andrae from Jamaica and Krsta they were AWESOME I can not remember our room stewards name but she did a very good job too. Disembarkation went pretty smoothly we were light blue from 8:00-8:30 and off the ship withing 5-10 minutes. We did have to wait a little awhile for a taxi just because it was so crazy outside and there two or three ships that had just arrived and getting off as well. We stayed one night in Miami at the Holiday Inn Oceanfront on Collins Ave. about 1-2 miles from South Beach. That morning it POURED but by the afternoon the weather was perfect. Our room wasn't ready when we got there so we were able to leave our luggage up front with the concierge which was nice so we could walk and get some breakfast. My husband and I rented a jet ski for an hour and had a blast he even made us take in the ocean (by accident!!) Our flight left Sunday evening at 9:20 so I went to the beach again and we left for the airport about 6:00. The flight was really bumpy on the way home and now we are back to reality! :-(

Cabin Review

Find a Liberty of the Seas Cruise from $249

Want to cruise smarter?
Get expert advice, insider tips and more.
By proceeding, you agree to Cruise Critic’s Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.