I chose this cruise because after visiting the interior of Alaska and going to Skagway, I wanted to experience the Southeast and the Inside Passage. My primary criterion for the cruise was to visit to Glacier Bay on a one-way cruise. HAL met those requirements. That said, I was a little disappointed in parts of the cruise, especially the Lido buffet. The food was ok, but the started closing half of the lines with only half of the open time gone. Combining that with the fact that you could not serve yourself but had to be served by the staff, it created some longer-than-expected waits. I had read that the size of the servings was poor, but I did not find that to be the case. If I ever wanted more, all I had to do was ask. I actually had to stop them more from giving too much more often than asking for more. Now to the low-light of the cruise: The Pinnacle Grill. We had to take an 8:00 reservation on the last night of the cruise which might have influenced the service, but it was awful. It wasn't the wait staff; it was the kitchen. They couldn't get the food out in a reasonable time. It took about 20 minutes to get our entree after finishing the appetizer and then 15 minutes after that to get the dessert course. We ordered steak for one and halibut for the other and shared the two. The steak was ordered medium. It came out medium rare in places and very rare (almost raw) in others. We didn't dare send it back; we would have been there another two hours. The halibut I had was not even hot, just room temperature, and was no better than what I've had at other restaurants. All in all, I would recommend that you not waste your money on The Pinnacle.

Overall a good cruise

Cabin VF 7109
Af
Navigation Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Haines
    We rented a car here and drove to the 2 parks then to Kroshel Films for their tour. It was a very enjoyable day all around.
    View All 83 Haines Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Haines Cruise Port Review
  • Whale Watching
    New boat, good seats, not crowded. AND we had a whale breach about 50 feet from the front of the boat. It also included a great narration about the town and the area on the ride from the pier to the harbor. I would highly recommend this tour. i just hate that I cannot remember the name of the company.
    View All 841 Whale Watching Reviews
  • Trolley Tour
    Good way to get an overview of the city. My only complaint is that we were going out by train that evening, so we had taken our bags to the train station for storage. They told us to go to Science World to be picked up, but we couldn't find where. After 2 calls to the office, we finally found the spot: the handicap parking in the lot with NO SIGNS at all. We didn't have time to do the entire trip and were afraid to get off to catch the ferry because of the number of people that were trying to get on the trolley but were unable to due to no seats being available. The first driver we had could not speak English well enough to be understood at all. We got off and caught the next one and got a better driver.
    View All 21 Trolley Tour Reviews