Norwegian Gem Cruise Review

Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by CUontheC

• Sail Date: Sep 2017
  • Destination: Canada & New England
  • Cabin Type: Mid-Ship Balcony

Both Embarkation and Disembarkation were easy peasy.

The ship is great...easy to get around. Elevators were a little full on some of the days.

We had a balcony cabin and it is not very big. Wet had enough room for our clothes. We put our luggage under the bed after we empty it.

Our luggage was delivered very quickly (befored4) . Although we did sail at 6 instead of 4 because we had to wait for a truck to bring supplies to our ship. It was ok...we had a great view of New York. And the weather was sunny and warm.

Food was good in the MDR's and the buffet.

We went to Cagney's and it was good

La Cucina was very good (the ricotta cheesecake with lemon curd was amazing for dessert)

Tepanyaki was very good...except I do not car for the seaweed salad. Wish it was just a regular salad with the ginger dressing and no seaweed.

We did only 1 show as we were pretty tired from the excursion. But the one we saw was a country show...Boots something. Sorry I cannot remember the name but it was awesome! Singing, dancing was A1.

We did choose not to see the hynosis by Nadine as we saw it on this ship last year and did not car for it.

We did hear from our friends who went with us that the 70-80's show was fantastic. We missed it.

We had the spa pass as we have done in the past. It was very good. I wish I would have gone a few more times. But there was always enough room on the mosaic loungers or the regular chairs. And the view is great.

Halifax we did a hop on hop off trolley tour and I wish I would have gone to Peggy's cove again. We really like that tour. And there is one with a lobster and that would have been great. Next time.

St. John we also did a hop on hop off tour and I would never do this one again. The Anthem of the Seas was there at the same time. And with them and us trying to board the trolleys the wait in line was about an hour and a half. I am disabled so I sat on a bench with other disabled people while we waited for our party to get to the double decker bus. Then as our party got close the drivers told us to board. I sat where the disabled sit while waiting for my husband to get on. The woman who was facilitating the tour came on and told me in a rude voice to clear the area. I asked her if the seat was for disabled people (there was a sign) and she said yes...and I said well that is why I sat here. She walked off in a huff. Then our tour started and the microphone broke. We stopped the bus and the driver tried to fix it. Well he could not...so we got to the area of the reversing falls and she had us all get off the bus and wanted us to get on the bus behind us which we could see was full. But it didn't matter she made us all get off. We did but then the driver of the other bus came and said he could not put us on because it was full. So we all ended up going back on our bus. And then we pulled over and waited for the electrician to show up. He did and he fixed the microphone but most people were agitated. Part of our party of 6 was on the bus and others were off. Most people did not want to get off because the trolleys were so full they were afraid they would not get another one. Anyway NCL was wonderful and refunded us for the excursion. If going back to Halifax I would take the top ten tour. It was a great tour...we did it two times before.

Portland Maine.. We did a bus tour to Kennebunkport. I would not do this excursion again because we drove to the town...we were dropped off to shop and have lunch...then we were taken past the Buschs' compound and all we did was drive by it slow...if you were on the left side of the bus you could hardly see it. I thought we were get a better view of this place so I would have not paid for this excursion and just stayed in the town or Potland where there were cute shops.

Boston Mass. We at first had a hop on hop off tour which was cancelled. But then we booked just a trolley tour that took close to 2 hours. It was very informative and the driver was great. We got off at the market and walked over to the North End and had some different pizza from a few different places. And some Italian cookies. Went back to the market and caught the trolley back to the ship..this came with the tour. Oh and pizza at Ernesto's was delicious and huge!

We had a Meet and Greet with the crew members put on by one of the cruise critic posters names OnthegoMom or Michele. She did a great job and it was one of the best Meet and Greets I have been too. She also brought door prizes...we did too as did a few others. One couple from Hawaii brought beautiful lei's that were fresh flowers and another man from Hawaii brought delicious Hawaiin candy for all of us to share.

We also did the slot pull....it was a lot of fun but we did not do to good. However right after the slot pull I was shocked as I won $7500 on a 1 cent quick hit slot machine in the casino.

Our steward was just ok. A few things were a little disappointing like having to ask a few times for 3 large towels. And then one day he took the regular small wastebasket in the bathroom and left us with a larger wastebasket and he took our drain plug...which I found odd. He did make some adorable towel animals...my favorite being the hanging monkey.

We did get hit from the hurricane on the way out of Boston....I believe we had 11 foot waves...that is what we were told. Could have been higher then that. We were fine bu the captain closed the outdoor areas on the ship and he asked that people be careful in their bathrooms. We heard there was a long line at the doctors office. Last year we went at the same time and it was like sailing on glass. But it only lasted about 24 hours and it did not ruin our trip at all.

The Gem is a great ship. I have been on this one three times so don't expect I will go for a few years on this cruise again. But when I do I am hoping NCL does 5 stops like it did a few years ago. I would rather go to Bar Harbor then Portland and I did like Newport and Boston which were all stops in 2014 along with St. John (which could be left off) and Halifax which is beautiful.

One thing I would ask is that people do not get into crowded elevators with their hot coffee or hot soup. I was burned once this way and it really scares me. I can see if your coffee has a lid on it but these did not. Also people should wait for people to step out of the elevator before getting on...just common sense.

If you choose the NCL Gem I hope you have a wonderful time.

CUontheC's Full Rating Summary