3. Norwegian Spirit
We chose this cruise because the travel agent screwed up and missed the deadline for booking on Celebrity. She said this would be just as enjoyable, ha ha. Let's start with embarkation. Gong show. The bus drove us to the wrong location and after dragging our bags inside the wrong building, we had to drag them back out, reload, drive a little more, repeat. The actual check procedure was quite smooth - full credit there. Overall the service was unfriendly. There was a feeling of an exhausted, overworked crew. There were some that were absolutely fantastic, Helio from Brazil was one of those but many just couldn't be bothered to even make eye contact and smile. Service in the Windows Dining Room was unbelievably slow. 1-1.5 hours for breakfast was normal including when I ordered oatmeal, OATMEAL! You know, ladle it out of the pot and into a bowl. Holy moly. Also the so called dinner dress code was a joke. No shorts of flip-flops for men meant, yeah sure come on in. We went on two excursions, Koper, Slovenia and Split, Croatia. The Koper trip was nice with a good, talkative guide and a well laid out route. The Split trip not so much. Nice guide but not very talkative. Where we went was an absolute mess traffic wise which, in my opinion, was highly predicable. There were three cruise ships in town on a Saturday and they took us to Trogir, a little fortified island with one bridge, connected to another island by one bridge. We spent considerably more time sitting still in traffic, than we did enjoying Trogir. They had to know this would occur and should have never offered the excursion. On top of that, a Norwegian supplied scooter, broke down. Myself and another gentleman pushed poor Lupida (sp?) back through traffic to the bus. It wouldn't have been so bad except the scooter kept locking up for no reason - I got my exercise in that day. I will add one more thing. If I ever hear "washy washy" one more time as I am entering a cafeteria/dining room, I swear I'm going to scream. Ugh!

Never again on Norwegian

Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review by Mike in Shawnigan

• Sail Date: September 2017
  • Destination: Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

Mike in Shawnigan’s Full Rating Summary

Balcony
Cabin BD 9532
Good overall layout. The bathroom was nice with lots of room in the shower. It was my second cruise with the first being an inside cabin. It was great to be able to have the door open for some fresh air but being near the bow there was a lot of bow wave noise, particularly during heavier seas. If there is a next time, I'd choose a mid-ship location.

The ship is 20 years old and showing its age. The balcony railing mounts are rusted and nearing an unsafe condition. The bathroom floor tile grout is either missing or mildew stained.

Our cabin steward was friendly but provided poor service. He would take towels away but not replace them without being asked/reminded. We ran out of shower gel near the end of the trip. The shower had a long hair (my mom and I both have short hair) stuck to the shower wall that remained throughout our trip. The shower flooded once and drained into the basin area. The toilet quit once for about an hour and one time just after arriving in port, we were without water. These issues self-corrected but shouldn't have happened.
Deck 9 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins