Pacific Dawn Cruise Review

21st Birthday Cruise

Pacific Dawn Cruise Review by theholistictraveller

• Sail Date: Sep 2017
  • Destination: the South Pacific

We booked this to celebrate my brother's 21st birthday. I didn't have high expectations because I have heard from other family members that P & O isn't as good as other cruise lines. I was pleasantly surprised. This ship was refurbished earlier in 2017 so the decor was fresh and modern in the public areas. We booked an Ocean View Cabin and thought it was a decent size. The bathroom was on the small side, but most are. The bed was not very comfortable though. The Pantry Buffet was excellent for a cruise buffet. We dined mostly in the Waterfront Restaurant and liked it. The Grill also offers cheap eats of good quality. A pulled pork burger was $3 and they were delicious.

There were a lot of classes you could take but they cost money. We spent most of our time doing the free trivia sessions. Bingo is $30. The night entertainment was really good. We saw a mind reader and then 'Slumber' and 'Seven'. All good shows. The live music really impressed me. Chris and Jazzella were fantastic.

If you want to spend time away from children then be mindful not to go in school holidays! Kids everywhere! This ship has an 'Oasis' area at the Aft but you need to get there early in the morning to get a lounger. There's only two small spas that take 5 people. This was disappointing. There is only one small pool on the lido deck and was full of kids. We tried the waterslides on our port day and they were really good. If you want time in the pool I suggest using it while everyone is in port.

We took a tender at lunch time over to Airlie Beach. We've all been before so we had a quick look around the town and then went back to the ship.

The staff were quite friendly and the coffee was good at Charlie's Bar (and reasonably priced).

Don't pay to use the Thermal Suite at Elemis. It's a rip off. It's a sauna and steam room with heated stone seats. Nothing fancy. We've got that included on Princess Cruises before.

Overall, we would go on another P & O, however, I'd like to try a different ship that has a pool in the adults only area.

theholistictraveller's Full Rating Summary

Cabin Ocean View 5138

Enough room for two people. Plenty of storage and hanging space. Great location right near the entrance to Atrium. You couldn't hear any noise and no one walks past to get to their cabin because you're tucked around a corner. Bathroom small but storage adequate.

theholistictraveller