3. Polarlys
It is known as a magic area. we embarked in Kirkenes ( North of Norway) and sailed along the coast with stops in many ports. Some are long enough to disembark for some moments or made an excursion longer and join the ship later on his way. In the period we chose (15 to 21 of sept) the daylight was average from 6-7 am to 7-8 pm so some part of the landscape was not visible. Or it is necessary to make the return cruise because what is by night for north to south cruise is daylight for south to north. This type of cruise has to be choosen accepting bad wheather ( we had about 3 days bad and 3 nice) Bergen is 300 days a year rainy... Anyway many landscape are spectacular by cloudy wheather. Polar lights are not guaranted. Regarding excursions it is necessary to analyse the bad wheather risks to decide because they do not easily cancel and refund. Regarding the cruise itself check the price they propose for the flight and transfers because if something happens with the flight company and if you have booked the ticket yourselves ( as it happened to me because of an SAS strike) they will not refund or make a credit, or postpone your trip. You loose it. They do not care So I hade to buy an expansive last minute ticket to join Kirkenes in time. For the trip we sailed on Polarlys who is a renewed nice ship. Cabins ( first price) are small but confortable, with private bathroom. Dining room is very nice with very good food ( of course fishes but not only) Service is quite OK and not to long for diner which is served at our table. They arrange table in order you are besides your friends or at the same table They are some interesting conferences or lectures proposed in 2 languages ( English and German) The excursions, depending of the wheather may be fantastic or may be somehow sad if it rains to much; But that is the fortune!! North cape one is beautifull and very nice because we joint the boat by 3 to 4 hours bus across north of Norway. In winter it is perhaps more spectacular but more expensive. We travel alone without any children. At this time it is more or less only retired people, some very old, and even some handicaped. I do not know if I would do it again. I think not I would better go with a mix of fast boats between ports and rent a car to go deeper in the country that Hurtigruten coastal express cannot do except with very expensive excursions. Roads are very nice.

Trip along Norwegian coast from Nord Cape to Bergen

Polarlys Cruise Review by astruc

It is known as a magic area.

Bergen is 300 days a year rainy...

They do not care

So I hade to buy an expansive last minute ticket to join Kirkenes in time.

For the trip we sailed on Polarlys who is a renewed nice ship.

Cabins ( first price) are small but confortable, with private bathroom.

Dining room is very nice with very good food ( of course fishes but not only)

Service is quite OK and not to long for diner which is served at our table.

They arrange table in order you are besides your friends or at the same table

In winter it is perhaps more spectacular but more expensive.

We travel alone without any children.

I do not know if I would do it again. I think not

Roads are very nice.
astruc’s Full Rating Summary
Get Hurtigruten Polarlys price drops

Small but confortable (about 9m2)
Clean
several stairs giving quick access to other decks