Viking Star Cruise Review

BALTIC CRUISE 5 STAR - VIKING AIR 2 STAR

Viking Star Cruise Review by Monty White

• Sail Date: Aug 2017
  • Destination: the Baltic Sea

We choose the ocean cruise because both my wife and I had 5 viking river cruises between us. Viking has always impressed us with their customer service and the quality of their ships.

We knew ahead of time the Ocean cruise would be no different. Yet it was. Viking has stepped up the quality of their customer service and the Ship is state of the art for luxury.

The Ship is intimate from the number of passengers 930 vs 5-7 thousand on the other cruise lines. The quality of the dining , onboard entertainment and cabin facilities are outstanding and the included tours were very professional with very good guides and superb modern buses. Also, each and every passenger had their own balcony. Due weather we were a little disappointed by not being able to stop in Gdansk Poland. We really enjoyed our many times in The Restaurant as we requested Nevanka, Hendre and Roly each and everytime. The made dining a pleasurable and fun experience. They are the perfect team. The presentation of the meal was orchestrated with precision and professional service. I would recommend that they be rewarded by becoming Viking's Dining Poster Team. Another aspect of the Viking Ocean cruise is the Guest lecturers. Very informative. As well the day before presentations for the next port information were very well done. I must include the informative Viking Daily kept of abreast of everything that was available to us. Spa and exercise facilities are first class. The ice/snow cool down after the hot tub is very invigorating. I felt truly Scandinavian! Hence Cruise 5 STAR!

VIKING AIR - 2 STAR. Here was our original schedule. Toronto>Detroit : Detroit>Frankfurt: Frankfurt>Oslo. We should have not accepted this schedule in hindsight. Flights too close together , no allowances for delays which we had 10 min into our first leg. We had landing gear problems and had to return to Toronto Pearson. We knew we could not get to Detroit for the frankfurt flight so my wife Pat immediately started working with Air Canada customer service to get us to Oslo. They were fantastic. After 1.5 hours on the phone we had our connections to Oslo. Toronto>Copenhagen: Copenhagen>Oslo. This worked perfectly but our luggage did not arrive until we were on the ship 3 days later. The customer service attendant for Air Canada saw the mess of our return flight and booked a return flight for us from Stockholm>Copenhagen, Copenhagen > Toronto. Our return flight booked by Viking Air was: Stockholm>Heathrow: Heathrow>Dulles, Dulles>Toronto. Viking Air out of California seems to be out of touch about the reality of getting passengers to the ship in the most direct route as possible. Between them and United Air,the contractor it was like pulling teeth for them to release the flights. Having talked to many others on the cruise most of their complaints was like ours. Poor flight plans which caused many problems with luggage not arriving in time. I had heard that the previous cruise had 145 passengers that had missing luggage. Now, Viking Cruises manangement could go a long way to alleviating many of the problems by getting Viking Air to find the best direct flights for each passenger and allowing more time between flights for luggage to be able to arrive with the passenger. My wife and I are seasoned travellers and we alway pack our carryon bags with enough essentials for at least 3 days. Here is a little tip. In your cruise material package direct the customers to travel sites that actually show how to pack for 10 or 15 days in 1 to 2 suitcases. I have used these sites and I am in disbelief how much can be packed on a regular carryon. Hangers and all.

Monty White's Full Rating Summary

Cabin penthouse verandah 5093

Our two attendants really took care of us an kept our cabin in immaculate condition.

City Tour

Our guide and driver were very good

View All 136 City Tour Reviews
The Old Town

What a great way to be introduced to historical Norwegian life by sea. The Skit was very well done. Guide and Driver were excellent.

View All 57 The Old Town Reviews
Aalborg

Very knowledgeable as to strides Danes are making in incinerating garbage and use of Wind power generators

City Tour

Well worth it. More insights into Danish life.

View All 201 City Tour Reviews
Rostock Walking Tour

Great guide. This was nice tour. The people who took the 6 hour trip to Berlin were very tired and I am glad that I did not go on it.

View All 25 Rostock Walking Tour Reviews
Helsinki

Good guide and driver. Helsinki is pretty low key not very impressive.Rock church is unique.

City Tour

Great guide and driver. What a beautiful place. Especially the spectacular cruise into the city in the morning. Reminded me of Northern Ontario. I live in Killarney, ON on Georgian Bay and we have the same water, rocks, islands, channels and trees. This city, Oslo, Bergen , Eder Fjord, Stavanger and Tallinn

View All 141 City Tour Reviews
City Tour

Got an overview of the nicer part of the city but no real time on the tour to see the main sights as too many other tours. Too busy. Basically take an outside picture of the whatever and move on to the next. I would not go back. Guide was mediocre

View All 378 City Tour Reviews
Tallinn

Excellent Guide. Excellent Tour. Tallinn is a very nice place. Would be better if the Russians would pack up and leave.

Gdansk (Warsaw)

We did not go to Poland due to stormy weather and unsafe docking conditions. It was disappointing!

Eidfjord

One of the best experiences of the whole cruise. Spectacular scenery. Great Video tour by the helicopter in the theatre at the info centre museum. Guide was good as was driver.

This is a must not miss port. Very unique.

Monty White