Viking Star Cruise Review

Best cruise I’ve ever had

Viking Star Cruise Review by Kochevnik42

• Sail Date: Jul 2017
  • Destination: the Baltic Sea

I have cruised the Caribbean with other lines and loved the experience. My ancestry is Scandinavian so this cruise itinerary appealed to me. It was also a chance to reward my daughter for earning a PhD from Oxford(she accompanied me on the cruise).

From beginning to end, I have never had a better travel experience. The crew and staff were attentive, personable and efficient. I never heard “no” from any of them.

I think Viking is the only way to travel. Nothing is perfect, of course, and there are things that could be improved or changed, but overall it was such a great experience I’m repeating the cruise next year with my new bride. We will even repeat some of the same shore excursions as you can’t see everything in just one visit. We are booked on the same ship, but have upgraded cabin class as I missed having coffee to take out on the veranda in the morning.

Kochevnik42's Full Rating Summary

Cabin Deluxe Veranda 3016

The cabin was very comfortable and well laid out. There was enough room for us to move without getting in each other’s way. The bed’s are very comfortable. Lighting is well placed and more than adequate. Video monitor can be see from most of the room. Serviced twice a day, so cleanliness was never an issue. Drawer space is at a premium, but a full sized closet with lots of hangars helps make up for that.

City Tour

Weather was bad, so the “scenic” tour wasn’t very scenic, but the guide made the most of the situation and kept us all entertained. Sufficient free time to explore th3 city on your own.

View All 136 City Tour Reviews
Eidfjord

This port call was cancelled because of the weather. Not Viking’s fault, but one has to fill in a rating. I hope to do the excursion next year on my repeat tour.

The Old Town

Walking tour of Old Town with plenty of opportunities to linger and enjoy, then some free time for photo ops before we toured the Oil Industry Museum.

View All 57 The Old Town Reviews

Did a self guided walking tour of Copenhagen in the morning then caught the tour bus to Roskilde in the afternoon to tour the museum and cathedral. More time could be allotted for this excursion, and spent at the museum.

View All undefined undefined Reviews
City Tour

After the tour, ample time is allotted to revisit points of particular interest and spend more time there. Very interesting spending the day in what used to be East Berlin.

View All 140 City Tour Reviews
Gdansk Old Town

I am impressed with the cities recovery and restoration after the devastation of the war. Gdańsk has much to be proud of and this tour highlights much of it.

View All 60 Gdansk Old Town Reviews
Old Town of Tallinn

Started in Upper Old Town and ended in Lower. Great scenery and knowledgeable guide made this a fascinating excursion.

View All 189 Old Town of Tallinn Reviews

The best way to get the most out of the time spent in port. There is so much to see and do in this city, it would be hard to choose which one to miss. With this tour, you get exposed to it all.

View All undefined undefined Reviews
Stockholm Old Town Tour

Nothing wrong with this tour. The guide was knowledgeable and informative, an Stockholm is a beautiful city. Maybe it was because it was the end of the cruise, and we were saddened by that, but this excursion just didn’t have the zing of all the others.

View All 54 Stockholm Old Town Tour Reviews
Old Town Porvoo

Great guide and beautiful city. Lots of history on this tour.

View All 55 Old Town Porvoo Reviews
Aalborg

We went on the beer tasting excursion and had a great time.

Kochevnik42