• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19
  • Deals

Zaandam Review

Editor Rating
5 Awards

Holland America is third rate at best

Review for Zaandam to Alaska
Struddy
2-5 Cruises • Age 60s

Sail Date: Aug 2017
Cabin: Large Interior Stateroom

I chose this cruise because it offered a visit to the Denali Wilderness Park. It also visited Skagway and Fairbanks, both places I had not visited. My first mistake was booking through a secondary seller. My usual travel agent was told by Holland America that they had not heard of the trip I was trying to book. So my friend and I booked through the secondary seller. The price was very low and as the trip progressed we discovered why. A complimentary cabin upgrade was offered. When we asked, no such upgrade was available. Gratuities were advertised as included. We were billed onboard for gratuities. Holland America's response to my inquiry about this was to politely say that it was my fault for taking such a cheap trip.

The food on board ranged from acceptable to mediocre. Things that had been complimentary when I last travelled on Holland America were now charged for. Service was acceptable but orders in the dining room were frequently incorrect.

There seemed to be an expectation that every service person you encountered was owed a tip. Shore excursions were aggressively marketed and overpriced.

Large Interior Stateroom

The cabin was acceptable. An inside cabin is not luxurious. I did not expect it to be opulent.

previous reviewnext review