Norwegian Gem Cruise Review
2,530 Reviews

Take in the sites, you won't have much time

Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by c1798805

• Sail Date: May 2009
  • Destination: the Western Mediterranean

My college friends and I were a mix of well experienced cruisers and first time cruisers (which included myself). With the exception of one let down excursion, we had an amazing time and NCL did a great job accomadating us while aboard their new ship.

OTHER GUESTS We found the demographics of our cruise to mostly be older people, but there were also families and young adults. Didn't matter, we stuck with eacher other. Two of my friends immediatley began to idealize Joe Peach, the assistant cruise director.

ROOMS We had the small basic interior rooms, but they were very nice - even for 7 days straight.

ADVICE If you are taking this cruise as an affordable way to experience Europe (it certainly is) just be mindful that you will have very little time at each port so while this is a cruise, be ready to go go go to make the most of your time at each port. When looking at the itinery online remember you will have to spend time on transportation, de-boarding and re-boarding. Being at these wonderfall cities would leave anyone wanting more; you just can't take in these cities in the few hours available.

EXCURSIONS The only semi-negative experience was our Florence excursion. We booked the one where a bus just dropped you off in Florence then took you back to the ship. It advertised that we would have 5 hours in Florence, but we were really only there for 3 1/2. Seemed like the best deal with the unreliable train system and my friends' previous knowledge of Florence. The ride took longer than we anticipated and our bus dropped us off on the outskirts of the historical city center. We had to walk through dirty allies to finally make it to 'the good stuff'. We hurriedly saw David, the Duomo, Ponte Vecchia and ate lunch before heading back our meeting spot where we waited thirty minutes for stragglers before heading back to the port an hour before guests had to be back. I wished NCL had worked the logistics out better to allow us more time in the city For Rome, we arranged a private tour on our own, expensive but I think worth it in the long hall so we could see all that WE wanted.

Overall, food and staff and the ship itself were really great! Lot's of cute, small details made the cruise too. The cruise guide on the tv with funny sayings and our names, the buffet greeters... my and my experienced counterparts were impressed with NCL on this cruise.

c1798805's Full Rating Summary

Three girls and our two weeks worth of clothes actually fit in the basic interior.

Up to date, nice beds and modern bathroom.

c1798805