• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

HopingForFun333
6-10 Cruises • Age 70s

Sail Date: Sep 2017
Cabin:

We have just returned from a seven night cruise to the Fjiords on the Magellan. Let me start by saying that if it had been my first cruise it would also have been my last. The ship should be re-named the Sloop John B (the worst ship I have ever been on according to the Beach Boys).

To begin with we had the usual muster and instructions on what to do if the alarm sounded.. I am not being flippant when I say that the drill script must have been written by the Chuckle Brothers for a carry on film. Firstly we had our instructions...'When the alarm sounds, go to your cabins and get your lifejackets, warm clothing and any medicine you need and make your way to your muster point. We were on deck 6 and muster was on deck 8. We then donned our lifejackets and were told to put one hand on the shoulder of the person in front and we did a 200 people conga up a flight of stairs on the open deck to our point of exit. I use this phrase as lifeboats were never mentioned. Next we were told that if we had to abandon ship then we should jump but keep our legs together and have one arm across our chests and hold our noses and mouth. We should only jump a maximum of about three metres. Now I am not a mathematician but that would mean the ship would have to sink about 4 or 5 decks before we could jump.

Now, considering that there were dozens of wheelchair users and limited mobility people, how do they go several floors down, then up and then climb a flight of stairs as we were informed the lifts would not be working. We took over ten minutes to go to our cabin and climb two flights of (steep) stairs. The average age of cruisers was about 70+ so I doubt any of these instructions we received were possible.

Cabin Twin superior inside

Ok but old and creaky.

Port Reviews

Flam

Would have been great apart from torrential rain. A very picturesque place.

Bergen

Many roads closed due to cycle festival and docked at different berth.

Find a Magellan Cruise