3. Emerald Sun
Wonderful cruise! I met the 8 day Danube River cruise, in Nurenberg. The port was easy to find, and my taxi was met with a greeter from the ship. Embarkation was easy, as it’s a small ship (regular river boat size), with a small amount of passengers, so no one ever had to wait in line etc. The ship was pretty and clean. I got there early, so was invited to relax in the lounge, and enjoy a light buffet meal, until my cabin was ready. I had chose one of the two single cabins, as I went alone, and while it was narrow and small, it had a small window up high, and was comfortable, modern, and well equipped. The food was very good all the time, while not being over the top gourmet, and wine was complimentary at both lunch and dinner - a very nice addition. My fellow passengers were mostly middle aged, or older, British, Australian, Canadian and American, mostly, and very nice. The older people were really quite amazing - as you’d see them drinking, playing games, laughing, and chatting, until the wee hours of the morning, then, they’d be up first thing, bursting with energy, to get on the complimentary tours! One, thing, most tours started early - 9 ish, usually, which, for a Yank, with jet lag, and time change - (9 AM for me, was 2 AM), it was almost impossible to waken in time. Not sure why they were so early? As on vacation, one generally loves sleeping in a bit - perhaps to try and avoid the afternoon heat in August? Not sure. But my suggestion, is to try and arrive in Europe several days early, to give your body a chance to adjust to the time change. The ship was very comfortable and pretty. My favorite thing was the complimentary Cappuccino machines - available in the lounge and by the pool - fabulous - for coffee lovers! Also, the small, “eternity” pool, is wonderful for those of us who are swim addicts. The ship also offered bicycles, to ride near where we stopped, or even ride to our next stop, as two couples did. The rooftop deck was fabulous at night, to walk after dinner, stare at the passing sights, (particularly amazing in Budapest), or have a drink and enjoy the company of new friends. The employees were all just wonderful, and really made the experience, with the their smiles, laughter, helpfulness and friendliness. The entertainment was a bit homespun, which is expected on a small ship, with no actual theater, and a small number of passengers and crew - but this is not why people cruise the Danube, and I thought they did a smashing job, with games, and their crew performance - charming and funny. The tours were good as well - though there’s a LOT to see, so site exhausting. All in all - a thoroughly enjoyable experience, and I would go again, with this lovely company, in a heartbeat.

Wonderful Cruise!

Emerald Sun Cruise Review by Travelbird22

Wonderful cruise!

The tours were good as well - though there’s a LOT to see, so site exhausting.

Travelbird22’s Full Rating Summary
Get Emerald Sun price drops

Mine was one of two single cabins - very small, and narrow, but clean, modern, pleasant and cheerful, with a small window up high, a comfortable single bed, and good storage and very nice amenities.