Vela Cruise Review

Amazing Pirate Week Cruise on the VELA

Vela Cruise Review by Rharrel1

• Sail Date: Sep 2017
  • Destination: the Southern Caribbean

My wife and I just completed a week cruise with Island Windjammers aboard the Vela. We have wanted to take a Windjammer style cruise for years and after researching options we chose Island Windjammers Pirate Week as our first adventure. I have to say this was by far one of the best vacations we’ve ever had. After a brief time meeting the other ‘Pirates’, I knew this was going to be a fun trip. It was a diverse group of folks but we all had that Pirate mentality and were ready for a special week.

If you like lounging around a pool, spending time in the casino, going to shows, etc. This is not that type of cruise.

However... If you are adventurous and enjoy meeting people and seeing places you'll never see while on a large cruise ship, then you'll love this. We sailed into small coves with great snorkeling, beaches, hiking and dropping into local bars in very, very small villages.

The crew members were awesome. Leah and Andrew laid out each day’s activities, providing tips on the best snorkeling spots, hiking, shops and food options. Chef Robert along with Panchoo prepared some amazing meals. You will not go hungry while sailing Island Windjammers. Something I had not given much thought to was our ability to get to know the crew. Something you can’t do on a large cruise ship. I especially enjoyed sitting with Captain Patricio and talking about his life fishing and sailing.

I definitely will be sailing again and I hope our photos and stories will inspire our friends to join us. However, we established what I hope will be long friendships with our fellow Pirates.

Overall it was an amazing experience.

Rharrel1's Full Rating Summary

The cabin was as expected being that you're on a 156 foot ship. I'm 6ft and the bed was comfortable for me and my wife. You have your on private bath and AC. There was space under the bed to store you luggage.

There were larger and smaller cabins on the ship but my wife and I pack light and I knew we would only be in the room to sleep and shower, I didn't splurge on the lager cabins.

I did get the chance to look at the larger cabins and you do get more bathroom and storage space. So if you pack heavy think about upgrading to the Compass cabin class.

Rharrel1