3. Viking Sky
This was a cruise to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary. Also we wanted to see the Hermitage (number one on my wife's bucket list) and the prospects for an insider tour were very compelling. We also wanted to see the Baltic and the cruise set the stage for a separate followup tour of Norway that we did on our own. The boat was lovely and new. With under 1,000 passengers, we felt crowded only a very few times. Service was wonderful. It could not have been much better. Ryan, the young man who looked after our cabin did a great job. The rest of the staff was wonderful, particularly Angela, one of the restaurant supervisors. Everyone made us feel welcome. Embarkation and disembarkation were generally smooth and effortless. We loved the Explorers' Lounge. We spent a good deal of time there. The fact that it was on our floor and just down the hall was a blessing. Our cabin was great. It was quite comfortable and Ryan kept it very clean. We appreciated the daily bulletins. When I misplaced a vest early in the trip, the staff tracked it down and they showed real concern about getting it back for me. Much appreciated. The food was amazing. And the service in the Cafe was superb. As you have heard I am sure many, many times, we ate too much. We liked the food and the convenience of the Cafe so much that we cancelled our evening at Manfredi's and we only ate in the Restaurant once. The entertainment was fine. We enjoyed it. But it was not something that was particularly important to us. The helicopter tour at Stavanger was a standout highlight. The pictures are real treasures. Bad weather prevented us from docking in Gdansk so we never got into that port. We were sorry we missed it, but that was a relatively minor disappointment. Two real complaints. Wi-fi was spotty and often slow. It would be great if Viking could find a way to improve that. One of the excursions, the Flam Railway was overbooked. There were 180 people on the excursion. It was not fun. In full hindsight, I would have preferred to have been told it wasn't available. One observation that is not specific to Viking. Cruise ships and other tours have destroyed the ambiance of some of the smaller cities. Tallinn was overrun with cruise ship and other tourists, not just from Viking. It was like a bad day at Disneyworld. We were taken into a church where a service was going on. I felt really badly for those who were worshipping. And yes, I was part of the problem. St. Petersburg and the Hermitage were also like that. I realize that the only way forward for a good company like Viking is to keep growing. But I worry about the capability, particularly of the small ports like Tallinn, to handle the growing crowds and to provide a satisfactory experience for visitors. In Copenhagen we were taken to a small sea coast village. It was wonderful. But on reflection, I had to feel some sympathy for the residents of the village subjected to armies of tourists following red lollypops wandering through their town and disturbing their peace on a regular basis. I've done two river cruises (not with Viking) and in many ways those are preferable for the reasons I've just been discussing. We are more comfortable with smaller groups. Anyhow, we had a great time. I am not sure we want to get on a large boat again for the reasons indicated above, but if circumstances permit, we would love to do some of the Viking river cruises. Our thanks to the Viking people who worked so hard to give us a great and memorable experience.

We loved it!

Viking Sky Cruise Review by fhawk852

Embarkation and disembarkation were generally smooth and effortless.

fhawk852’s Full Rating Summary