Carnival Magic Cruise Review by countrygirlcruiser1234
- Sail Date: September 2017
- Destination: Eastern Caribbean
- Cabin Type: Deluxe Ocean View
Nassau, Grand Turk, Amber Cove
Cozumel, Belize, Costa Maya
Cozumel, Belize, New Orleans
Embarkation was a breeze. Port Canaveral did not follow check in times. We traveled with a party of 10 in 3 cabins. We had FTTF but our other 2 rooms did not. Our other rooms had a check in time of 11-11:30am. They let us all into the port at 10:15am without even looking at our boarding passes for check in times. All cabins checked in and on the ship at Noon. (FTTF cabin on board at 11:40am)
They announced the 1st itinerary change right before muster. We knew before boarding that we were not going to our scheduled itinerary, but they waited until muster to tell us.
Staff on board was amazing! Happy Smiling full of fun. Dr. E is probably the best cruise director I have had yet.
We had a good time, but got continually stressed as Irma continued to move more to the west.
Internet was spotty at best. we attribute this to so many people trying to stay in contact with people back home due to the storm.
Cozumel was a beautiful day. We took a cab downtown and shopped. Then shopped at the port a little before getting back on board.
We stayed on board in Belize.
While everyone else was ashore in Belize, they announced that we were skipping Costa Maya and heading directly back to Port Canaveral due to Irma.
The new schedule was to dock in Port Canaveral on Friday, unload all passengers that wanted to get off and be back out to sea by the 3pm port closure.
We got just above cuba and almost to the florida keys when they announced that we would not make it to Port Canaveral in time to disembark before the port closure, so the were turning us around and going to New Orleans. This was very stressful for us as our homes were now in the direct path of the eye of Irma. We were hoping to get off and get home and help our family at home prep all of our homes before the storm hit. But there is was nothing we could do.
We did our best to give instructions to family back home via FB messanger.
Carnival opened up all the phone lines on the ship for people to call home or make travel arrangements from New Orleans if they wanted to get off, but you could not get a call out. The guest services line was insane. It wrapped all the way around the lobby with people waiting up to 3 hours to reach the desk.
In New Orleans 1800 people disembarked and headed home, while 2500 people stayed on board.
While in NOLA we made several phone calls and then tried to enjoy the city. Carnival gave us 2 free options. Free Hop on Hop off bus passes or a Free shuttle to and from the French Quarter.
We choose the hop on hop off bus. We enjoyed Cafe Du Monde and shopping. We ate lunch at a restaurant that I don't remember the name of, and finished the day with a tour on the bus of the city.
We had to be back on board by 2am. We were on far earlier than that, again making more phone calls while in port to family and friends. We pulled out of port at 4am on Sunday Sept. 10th
They made an announcement on Sunday that we would be arriving into Port Canaveral on Tuesday Sept. 12th. Then on Monday announced again that we would not be arriving until Wednesday Sept 13th.
All in all this was a very good cruise. I will list below the issues that we had. Again they are not big issues just things that irritated us because we were already stressed and a couple things that just made absolutely no sense!
1. Do not give information until you know it to be fact.
People booked flights on Tuesday because they told us we would be home on Tuesday, then they said no not until Wednesday. We drove so this didn't affect us personally but it changed the mood of a lot of people.
2. We per-purchased the Cheers and Bubbles programs. I will stress this point ..WE HAD NO ISSUES WITH PAYING DAY BY DAY FOR THE EXTENDED DAYS, but do not try to charge me the on board purchase price. We never got off the ship, we did not try to go home, we continued on board for the entire cruise. Charge me the per-purchased price. I contacted Carnivals FB page and got a rep on there to contact the ship and the price was adjusted for those passengers that per-purchased. Those that did not buy it prior to the cruise were charged the on board price.
3. Our Sign and Sail cards expired for access to our rooms on Saturday night at midnight. We were to still use our cards for charges but we could no longer access our cabins with them. We were issued another card for access to our cabins. The problem was that each room was only issued 2 new cards. even if you had 4 people in your cabin you were only issued 2 cards. Now our kids are 17. We do not attend all the same activities. Our 17 year olds do not attend the same activities as each other. hunting down one of the 2 people who had a cabin key was impossible. Again I contacted Carnivals FB page and Mary contacted the ship and issued all of our rooms with additional keys. It is impractical to think that cabins with more than 2 people will stay with each other 24 hours a day so that we can have access to our cabin.
4. THIS IS MY BIGGEST ISSUE.
The new cabin keys had your cabin number on the card. ARE YOU KIDDING ME. If you loose your card anyone who found it then knew exactly where your room was and could get in. My husband lost his (his fault completely) on Monday night while in the casino. No one turned it in. He spent all day on Tuesday in the cabin because guest services would not deactivate the cards and issue us new ones, and he was afraid someone would try to get into the room. Come on Carnival....really. it is not necessary to put the cabin number on the card!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I will stress that the crew was amazing the entire time. We loved the casino bartenders Seti, Lordan, and Kanokwan! Our room steward I Made was also amazing.
I forgot to mention that on Sunday we received 2 bags for free laundry. SO AWESOME! Then on Monday we received 3 more bags for free laundry. We used the first 2 and that was enough to get us through the end of the cruise.
Debarkation was fast and they never even looked at our paperwork, just waived us right through customs.
This was cruise #8 for us.
I will definitely cruise with Carnival again!
A good cruise with a few issues that just added on to the stress of our worry about home.
Our town did end up taking the eye of Irma directly. We had no major damage. We were Blessed!!!!
Sorry if this was a little scattered.
room kept clean
everything in working order