3. Norwegian Epic
This was only my second cruise so maybe I don't have enough background to compare this with but the other cruise I did was earlier this year with P&O and was far superior. This ship is just way too large, there are not enough loungers or chairs for everyone on a sea day and there is constant noise everywhere. I went to the so-called quiet area as previous reviews said this was pretty underused as it was up another lift from the pool deck, however on the sea day it was packed, no spare loungers anywhere and it was far from quiet, there are large fan intakes on the side decks which are very noisy and there is piped music on the front deck so it is not a quiet area, just quieter than the pool deck. I was all inclusive so as long as I selected drinks under $15 I could have anything, but as others had said the cocktails are all from pre-packed mixes and so not very nice and the choice was limited. Surprisingly there were a number of cocktails over the $15 which is shocking, about twice as expensive as on P&O so even on all inclusive drinks there were some you couldn't have without paying extra. There is only the one bar for the whole upper deck excluding the one at the back by spice h20, so this was packed with large queues. I was travelling alone and hoped to meet people and get talking at meal times, however you were always seated at a different table every day and always on your own, never on a large shared table which was disappointing, the only people I spoke to the whole holiday were the waiting staff. I don't think I would go on a multinational ship again either as although a lot of people were polite and friendly some nationalities ideals of what is polite seams to differ a lot from mine.There were a lot of groups who talk to each other AT 200 DECIBELS and this was just normal conversation, not an argument or anything, you could hear them 2 cabins away. Then other groups on different balconies would start talking to others in different parts of the ship with loud conversations going back and forth from deck to deck on the balconies would take place, so sitting out there to enjoy the peace and quiet was not an option either. I have to say however that I did think the food was excellent, it was much better quality and taste than on my previous cruise. The cabin I thought was great aswell, yes it is a bit odd having the toilet and shower as part of the same room and you have to pull the curtain across even though I had the cabin to myself as anyone could look into your room from the next door balcony, see previous comments on what is polite for some nationalities may not be for others, but it was very large and spacious with loads of storage all over the place. There was tea and coffee making facilities provided and so was ice strangely enough even though I had not asked for any, it was only on the last but 1 day that I looked in the ice bucket and realised this was topped up every day, although why I do not know since you cannot take any of your own drinks on board and all the bars gave you ice in your drinks so seemed pointless. I do think that if you build a ship to take 4000 passengers then you need to provide 4000 sun loungers and seating at the bars to take at least 3000 of this total at any time, there seems to be a bit of squeeze as many paying people on board as possible and then fit in some entertainment for them in the space which is left mentality about this ship. At two ports I decided to stay on board as I had been to them before, I was surprised by the lack of anything going on, the only events that seemed to be going on during the port days were either bingo or kids events, there didn't seem to be much to entertain adults, no movies or talks, no tours around other parts of the ship. I did go to an art auction once but only stayed 10 minutes, it is not very dignified when the auctioneer is getting everyone to whoop and holla for every item even if it is not sold, we weren't all brought up on a trailer park. PS. Don't ever board a cruise in Barcelona, the airport is a shambles, it took over 4 hours after landing to get on board, even though when we eventually left the airport it was only 10 mins by coach away. the rest of the time was getting through security and waiting for passengers off other flights to arrive

Too many passengers, not enough space.

Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by Micky1010

Micky1010’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Epic price drops

Family Balcony
Cabin B3 13007
Nice cabin just behind the bridge. Quite quiet as not many people passing by and just cabins above and below. Tip is to ensure the toilet and shower doors are fully shut or they will rattle all night long. Seat seemed pointless as it was opposite the wardrobe so if you sat on it you just stared at your reflection in the mirror, the TV is at the end of the bed not opposite the settee.
Deck 14 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Cinque Terre
    They are so crowded I could not believe it, you are nose to tail with other people the whole time and all tour groups follow the same times and itenary so you are always in the same huge crowd, they should do a different route sometimes so you are at different places at different times to the other groups.
    View All 83 Cinque Terre Reviews
  • Sorrento
    Expensive shore excursion and not exactly what I wanted to do, It was ok overall, disappointed with Sorrento, not as pretty as I had expected but Pompeii was better than expected, much larger than I thought. Lots of walking!
    View All 144 Sorrento Reviews
  • Rome (Civitavecchia)
    Excellent tour, the driver was very good and knowlegable, stopped at all the main sites offered to stop if we wanted to see something, gave us a good description of what we could see. The coliseum was first which was great as there were no queues so could go straight in. The Vatican was fantastic, again larger than I thought, be prepared for long queues and endless people, it is very busy and you quite often loose your guide as there are so many, very tiring aswell as there is lots of walking and stairs.
    View All 11,644 Rome (Civitavecchia) Cruise Port Reviews