3. Crown Princess
Visiting Norway has always been on my bucket list. I am so glad we went. Ship overall: We have travelled with Princess (Ruby and Crown), Carnival (Spirit), MSC (Fantasia), Costa (Deliziosa), P&O (Pacific Dawn), Celebrity (Reflection), Royal Caribbean (Legend of the Seas). One thing we have learned is that, in the end, it's all much of a muchness. And much depends on your own attitude. Keep that song "don't worry, be happy" as your theme song for each trip :) Embarkation: Extremely quick, however there were fingerprints all over the glass table in our mini suite and the promised embarkation champagne was quite late to arrive. I think that our stewart was simply pressed for time - we were one of the first on board and were probably among the first to visit our cabin. Disembarkation: We chose the first group to leave with luggage assistance. We barely made it to the meeting area on time because they actually let us disembark 10 minutes early. Once we got off the ship it took us literally a minute to find our luggage and go outside. There, despite the constant warnings to the contrary by Princess, was a fleet of taxis ready to take us where we needed to go. And then, National Express let us catch an earlier bus to Heathrow. All that time that we allowed ourselves in case of taxi delays, length of time to find luggage and to get off ship was unneeded and we found ourselves at the bus depot 3 hours before our scheduled bus departure. Thank you National Express for letting us get on that earlier bus! Bathroom: I wish I was shorter - at nearly 6 feet tall the shower stream hits my neck and it can be quite awkward when you have dicky knee to bend the knees just enough to get water on my hair. We were saddened to see that Princess has downgraded the suites to those refillable pumps for shampoo, conditioner etc. The bathtub hardware was loose. And the mirror is losing its silver at the base. But at the least the toilet worked well, consistently, for the entire cruise. Sabatini's: Not too bad, but honestly nothing all that special. As others pointed out there is an obvious vibration which can be disconcerting. Crown Grill: Our first visit a couple of days in was very disappointing. I heard that they had new crew who were probably getting used to the new environment. Our second visit towards the end of the cruise was much, much better. Salty Dog: First visit was marvellous. Our second visit, on our last night, was extremely disappointing. The burger, which I requested as cooked medium, was RAW. Yes, raw. Looked cooked on the outside but as soon as you cut in, it was cold and definitely raw. They were happy to replace it, and the replacement was obviously fresh and properly cooked, but it also took half an hour to arrive. We had an appointment in the art gallery which my husband had to quickly run down to move the time. Horizon Cafe: Breakfasts were very boring by the end of the trip. And as a Type 2 diabetic I found them quite challenging. If you can't have bread, or pastries, or pasta, or potato, or fruit, or cereals there's very little left to choose from. I recommend you go down to International Cafe for your coffee. The stuff they serve in Horizon is really not good. Michaelangelo / Da Vinci / Botticelli: This was a mixed bag, with some food being marvellous, some being disappointing. But that's understandable when you consider how many people they have to serve, and how quickly. Getting a table was surprisingly easy, even for us - we're those difficult "table for two" types. Vines Bar: Avoid the sushi. It isn't proper sushi. On my first night a Japanese gentleman was lecturing the wait person - "the rice needs to be more sticky". All it was, was standard boiled rice shaped into sushi shape, and the first night the rice was barely half cooked, squashed together far too much so that it was bullet hard, and ice cold. Stick with the tapas which was much better. Skywalkers Nightclub: we went to the Platinum / Elite "do" that was on most days from 5pm until 7pm. The food served was underwhelming, and somebody needs to teach them how to properly make steak tartare. Mushing the meat up in a mincer with no seasoning isn't it. Just because meat is raw, doesn't make it tartare. That being said, there was a waiter whose name escapes me who had a different puzzle in his pocket every evening. Much fun was had by those of us who tried to solve the darned things :) International Cafe: great for snacks and lunch, and the coffee is best on ship. Just make sure that they toast your choice for long enough otherwise it'll be warm on the outside and cold on the inside. Casino: Didn't visit at all. Crooners: What can I say - I love their martinis. Bingo: They have tablets which automatically check the numbers as they are drawn and immediately tell you how you're going. It made life a lot easier, yes, and you can play more games at a time, but somehow it wasn't as much fun. We only went once. The Shops of Princess: We spent *way* too much (embarrassed grin) Art Gallery and auctions: I am so over Peter Max. Seriously. And Pino. Please, no more Pino. Wouldn't mind seeing more Craig Tracy and Csaba Markus, however.

Norway - truly lovely

Crown Princess Cruise Review by swisstrailblazer

• Sail Date: August 2017
  • Destination: Baltic Sea
  • Cabin Type: Mini-Suite with Balcony
Visiting Norway has always been on my bucket list. I am so glad we went.

Casino: Didn't visit at all.

Crooners: What can I say - I love their martinis.

The Shops of Princess: We spent *way* too much (embarrassed grin)

swisstrailblazer’s Full Rating Summary
Get Crown Princess price drops

Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin MD
Pretty typical for a cruise ship. No complaints, really.
Dolphin Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins