3. Celebrity Reflection
We arrived in Rome one day pre-cruise and stayed two days post-cruise. That was barely enough time to scratch the surface and I can't wait to return to Rome. But the next time, I'll go in January!!! Rome is very crowded, even in September. We took the train from Termini to the port at Civitavecchia. Our train ticket cost five euros and I'd do the same thing next time. The train was on time and comfortable. But if you have a lot of bags, perhaps you'd be better off with one of the shuttles that pick you up at your hotel and drop you off at the ship. This was my first time sailing out of this port and I had no idea how complicated it would be. See below. Once we arrived at Civitavecchia however, the heavens opened. We were soaked. There was only one staff member present and he was no help other than to say that the walk would take at least 20 minutes. He didn't have a map. He didn't offer to call a taxi. So after much debate, we bought a ticket for the town bus that took us to the cruise lines' shuttle buses that take you to the ship. The bus ticket cost two euros. But the walk across the road soaked us and our luggage. We had to wait about twenty minutes for the town bus. The other thing I'll point out is that the bus to the cruise line shuttle buses stops running at about noon for two hours. Lunch time? There were only one or two taxis visible at the Civitavecchia train station, so that wasn't really an option. It's too bad that the staging area for the cruise lines' shuttle buses isn't closer to the train station. The torrential rains really complicated the situation and there were a lot of mobility challenged people who were struggling. It was a poor start. Check in was smooth once we got to the terminal and our room was available promptly. We had an inside cabin and it was okay. We chose 8:30pm dining. It was perfect. There were many long days in port and the later dining allowed a few hours to relax at the pool before dinner. I enjoyed most of the dinners. There is a pretty decent pool side grill that's open from 11am -6pm. It's a popular place. Service was great all over the ship. But I hated being questioned all the time by the servers why I didn't have a drinks package. I was travelling with a non-drinker, so the package didn't seem worthwhile. I found the questioning off-putting. The other thing I don't like is my servers and room steward begging me to give them good reviews during the last two days on board. They do a very good job. They're professional and efficient. And my feelings of distaste are not with them but rather a system that makes them do this. I hate that they feel like they have to do this when I know that their wages wouldn't approach the poverty line in my country. Presumably they have supervisors on the ship who judge their work. That should be enough. We didn't attend any of the shows but enjoyed some of the poolside music. One young guitar player was especially good. I could have listened to him every day. He played a lot of traditional Greek and Russian music and received the biggest applause of the week. We chose this itinerary for its ports and they didn't let us down. I loved all of them and can't wait to return to the Med in the future. My favourites were Malta and Rhodes. We paid $25 (US dollars) each at the end of the cruise for a transfer to the Civitavecchia train station. It's robbery on the cruise line's part as it's a five minute drive. But with rain in the forecast, it seemed prudent. All together, we had a great cruise.

Great Ports of Call

Celebrity Reflection Cruise Review by mofb2000

All together, we had a great cruise.
mofb2000’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Reflection price drops

Inside Stateroom
Cabin 10 3160
I knew what I was getting with an inside cabin. We did it to save money. But never again. I'll book a balcony from now on.
Panorama Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins