3. Nordkapp
SMOKING POLICY - everywhere on outside decks except in one small area. This is EXTREMELY disappointing. You step outside to get fresh air and to see the natural sights the ship is passing, only to be bombarded with smokers and the cigars and pipes were even worse. Hurtigruten is heads up for smokers and does not have a good policy. In such a well regulated and natural country this policy surprises me greatly. Half the ship smoking, half the ship nonsmoking would at least be fair, but to make all the decks smoking is really a bad policy. CABIN on Deck 3 are not renovated. My bathroom had a very moldly smell in the small bathroom. My bed was uncomfortable and hard. Staff put another mattress on top of the hard mattress for a softer sleep. Deck 5 and 6 have been renovated, so try to get a cabin up there and also on the starboard side away from the noise of the cargo doors which open and close at various ports all thru the nights. Restaurant - food is very good. Except - evening meal there is no choice. One set meal and that is it. Too bad if you don't like fish. Servings at dinner time are small and staff refuse to give seconds. Our wait staff rudely said there was not enough food on board for us to have a little extra desert. This was disappointing see the meal was fish and unfortunately my travel companion does not eat fish. STAFF - Tours are constantly pushed on the ship. When we asked for some info for independent travellers we were told to take a tour. The staff were not willing to give out info. Maps were available. Tours are very expensive. THE CRUISE - the scenery along the coast is beautiful. Stops in ports are very short therefore giving a very rushed feeling. Most ports only 15 or 30 mins. A few ports stop for 3 hours. Taxis are at the dock to wisk you off to some sight. NORTHERN LIGHTS - I was extremely lucky to see one night of fantastic Northern Lights. But then being out on deck watching the lights and having smokers stand next to me smoking. Many German travellers on board were smoking (did I mention cigar and pipe).

NON SMOKERS BEWARE

Nordkapp Cruise Review by bne54

• Sail Date: September 2017
  • Destination: Arctic

bne54’s Full Rating Summary
Get Hurtigruten Nordkapp price drops

Cabin on Deck 3 are not renovated. My bathroom had a very moldly smell in the small bathroom. My bed was uncomfortable and hard. Staff put another mattress on top of the hard mattress for a softer sleep. Deck 5 and 6 have been renovated, so try to get a cabin up there and also on the starboard side away from the noise of the cargo doors which open and close at various ports all thru the nights.