American Queen Cruise Review

A Dream Come True

American Queen Cruise Review by srwjones

• Sail Date: Jun 2017
  • Destination: North America River

I have dreamed of cruising onboard the Delta Queen/Mississippi Queen/American Queen since the 1970s when I first saw the Delta Queen on the Ohio River. For me, this was a bucket list item and, once I booked my trip, I spent many hours pouring over everything I could find about the boat so I wouldn't miss anything once onboard. I really thought I had over-hyped myself and that it couldn't possibly live up to my dreams but it did. The boat was beautiful, the bed was comfortable, the food was delicious and the service was something special. To top it off, the weather was beautiful.

The Steamboat Syncopators and American Queen performing ensemble were so talented and, when they started into their Dixieland piece, I teared up for being so excited. We cruised from Memphis to New Orleans and the ports were wonderful. The hop-on, hop-off bus really makes it easy to enjoy the site seeing. The only drawback to the trip had nothing to do with the boat and her team, it was some ungrateful people who seemed bent on complaining about everything. I found a way after day one to avoid them. I, for one, am so grateful to the staff of the American Queen for making my time with them a dream come true.

srwjones's Full Rating Summary

Cabin C 452

The cabin was listed as category "C" because it had doors that opened out to the deck where we could sit on our private chairs and watch the shoreline go by but the room itself was designed more like a category "E." It was fine. We were very happy with the accommodations. There were 2 of us, my mother and I, and the beds were wonderfully comfortable. There was plenty of room for us to do what we wanted. We truly didn't spend much time in our cabin anyway. Only to unwind for an hour or so between activities and to sleep.

Nottoway, Louisiana

Very hot the day we were there, but very beautiful plantation and interesting guide.

srwjones