3. Silver Muse
We love Silverseas cruises, this is our 5th with the company, our 4th ship and the first on the newest addition to the fleet, Silver Muse. Our cabin (Deluxe Balcony) was just as good as we've had on Whisper and Shadow, and our cabin attendants were fabulous. We can't rate the butler and his associate highly enough, especially during the few days I was ill. That's a consistent feature of Silverseas, the quality and training of the staff. The food was good too, especially in Atlantide and Kaeseki, but also in La Terraza and the Grill. We loved the cruise itinerary, with many of the ports on our bucket list. The time on shore was adequate for our requirements and we enjoyed ourselves in each of the Portuguese, Spanish and French towns and cities. But otherwise this was, in our opinion with 51 days of sailing on Silverseas, a poor shadow of the Silverseas experience we had come to love. The following aspects really annoyed us: 1. The dining arrangements are too regimented. You have to book every night of the cruise in advance, and for those of us who did not do so in advance, we had to take what was left available. 2. Dress code by restaurant, as opposed to by specified evening, detracted from the ambience of our evenings, because only those eating in the two formal restaurants tonight were dressed up. Half our formal clothes came home unworn! 3. There is a lack of intimate space on board. Dolce Vita is a huge open area that has a bar and piano tucked into one corner and usually has about 30 guests at cocktail hour. The Arts Cafe is sterile and poorly serviced, and we so missed the afternoon teas and cocktails in the Panorama Lounge. 4. Communication is atrocious. The public announcements only play in public areas, so if you are in your cabin when the ship docks or is about to depart you miss them. 5. The letter asking me to meet the head chef at 5pm on day one to discuss my food allergy was delivered to my suite while I was at dinner that night. We had only been able to get a booking at Indochine (late, see #1) but I couldn't eat any item on their menu. The staff didn't know how to solve that problem, and eventually we ate in La Terrazza after others had finished. 6. The captain's personal letter of birthday greetings for my wife was delivered 2 days late. 7. Our invitation to the Venetian Club (frequent travellers) arrived so late we were unable to change a reservation in the Spa so we missed the event. 8. Notwithstanding we had a letter confirming dinner arrangements for each night, when we arrived at La Terrazza on the last night of the cruise, the maitre d said we had no reservation and he had no vacancies so we would have to find somewhere else to eat. He could not offer any suggestions. I returned to our suite, unpacked the suitcase to recover the letter, and when I presented that to him his response was "it's not in the computer, I can't help). Thus the title of our critique, Basil Fawlty on board Silver Muse! 9. The ship was so impersonal. Everything is done by cabin number, so no one knows your name, with the exception of a few of the serving staff who made the effort. The executive had no idea who we are or what our history is with Silversea. We certainly won't sail on Silver Muse again.

John Cleese would be proud of this floating Fawlty Towers

Silver Muse Cruise Review by GerryPhillips

• Sail Date: August 2017
  • Destination: Baltic Sea
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Verandah Suite

We certainly won't sail on Silver Muse again.
GerryPhillips’s Full Rating Summary