3. Celebrity Constellation
Here is my review of the August 28th 10 day cruise to Greece and the Greek Islands. The cruise left from the Veice cruise port. Check in was fast; I was on the ship in 15 minutes. I had an inside cabin that was located at the far end of the front of the ship. Disadvantage was walking to the main dinning room located at the back of the ship. Afte 13 RCCL cruises this was my first time on Celebrity. The ship was an older model but still was well maintained. It had lots of wood touches and updated bars and service areas. We left Venice on the first day for a day at sea. Everyone settled in for a easy day to explore the ship. The ship has three pools; one being the covered solarium with the thesso type pool. The pools were next crowded. There were very few children on board because being a 10 day cruise and the ship had very little to offer children. Off to dinner at 8:45 the first night. My tablemates included two couples from the UK, a pair of ladies from Canada and a couple from Houston, Texas. Being a solo cruiser I felt I would be the outsider. The other couples welcomed me that first night and turns out to have been a great table for conversation. The table service left something to be desired with very slow service all the time of the cruise. We would get our desert at around 10:30 and it left little time to finish and catch the 10:30 show in the main theater. I saw 4 out of the 9 shows this cruise. Mostly singer and dancers. The one great show was a gentleman from the UK that played the saxaphone that was amazing. Because of the the diners finishing late the theater was about half empty every night. First port of call was Olympia, Greece; the site of the first olympics. The site had a museum and an outdoor area. Cost for the site was 12 euros. The town within walking distance of the ruins was small but it did have free WiFi. Next port of call was Santorini. The island was amazing but we had very litle time to really enjoy all it offers. I took a ships excursion that brought you to the top of the volcano to the town of Oia. Because of the number of ships in port the town which is one of the picture postcard places in the Greek islands was very crowded. The small winding streets were packed with tourists. I had lunch at one of themany restaurants that was overpriced but still worth the view. The excursion took us again by bus to a Greek winery for some samples and cheese. Last stop was the town of Fira for the cable car ride down to the ship. There was a long line for getting on the cabke car but considering the views and the town itself it was worth the wait. Some chose to walk the 600 steps down. Our next port was an overnight in Athens. Two days gave everyone to go into the city. I opted for the HoponHopoff bus from the port city of Piraeus. For 20 euros fortwo days it was worth the money. Athens is a very large city with the old and the new all packed into a very small area. The parthenon was my first stop but the crowds prevented me from waiting for a ticket to go to the top. I had lunch in the area of Monastiraki a beautiful section of Athens with outdoor cafes and flea market stands. Back on the bus I headed back to the ship. Second day in Athens I opted to stay on the ship. Next port was Mykonos. It has the look of what ervyone expects a greek island should look like. White and blue small homes and churches dotted the coastline. Again WiFi was available in the local restaurants for free. Next port was Corfu. Being a very large island with the main city of Corfutown; the island had a very different look than the two previous stops. The narrow streets and lots of shops made it iteresting people watching. I had lunch at an outdoor cafe that had the best moussaka dish I have ever had there. If you eat there it is called Aegli; claims to be the oldest restaurant in Corfu. Back on the ship for the final day at sea before returning to Venice I had a chance to photograph the interior of the ship. The ship is beautiful with the old style wood and classic looking decor. I was disapointed in the entertainment available compared to the RCCL Oasis class ships but the cruise director reminded me of how old the ship was and does not have the ability of do all the things an Oasis class ship can do. Ther was no piano bar to sit around; one thing I have enjoyed on RCCL ships. The entertainment consisted of soft rock bands playing in various locations around the ship, trivia games and other cruiser participation games. One thing Celebrity does is have guest speakers come on board. One gentleman gave three talks on the history of Greece and the islands. The second gentleman Ed Buckbee spoke three times on the history of NASA. Ed was around for all of the maned space shots from the Mercury to the Space Shuttles. As a big fan of the space program I had a chance to have breakfast with Ed. He was an amazing speaker telling us all the things about the original seven astronauts that most people never have known. If you are looking for agreat way of visiting Greece and the Greek islands this cruise is for you. The is a lot of walking in the ports and sometimes the cobblestone and marble walkways can be very slippery. Best not to wear flip flops off the ship.

Greek cruise