3. Norwegian Jewel
Norwegian was recommended to me by a friend who had sailed with them over 6 years ago. This was my first cruise ever. Alaska is incredible. Highly recommend getting a cabin with a balcony. The cruise ship was very good and I had the best sleep I have had in ages. The critics are correct however, the food is not up to standard. Wish the cruise line would have less variety on the menus and concentrate on quality. As an example, NEVER put Eggs Benedict as a choice in a buffet, it becomes disgusting cold glop stuff. Buffet area is crowded and busy. We did meet some nice fellow travelers there, as we had to share tables quite often. Specialty dining, we only went to two and I recommend Moderno if you love well prepared meat. Drinks were expensive, beer is $6.95 a bottle. The staff were very good and I loved how informal and friendly the captain was(Captain P. Erickson). Went to a few of the main events in the theatre and they were good, not 'oh, my lord,wow that was amazing!', but good. The cabin was wonderful, comfortable and clean. The balcony was well worth the extra cost and is probably the reason why my husband and I did not participate in the many activities offered onboard. We spent a lot of time on the balcony watching distant whales, orcas and the most amazing scenery.

Alaska cruise aboard Norwegian Jewel

dishpanhandz’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Jewel price drops

Balcony
Cabin BD 8026
Small, clean and very comfortable. Loved the balcony. Toilet got a tad smelly.
Deck 8 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Mendenhall Glacier
    We were going to take a float plane tour to see the five glaciers. It was canceled due to fog which burned off later in the morning. I was very disappointed as this was going to be the highlight of my vacation , hence the mediocre feelings to the bus tour to the glacier . The bus driver Chris, who actually lives in Juneau, was very good, informative and funny. The ride up the mountain and climb up to Browns Cross had beautiful views but so was NOT a airplane tour of the five glaciers.
    View All 777 Mendenhall Glacier Reviews
  • Misty Fjords Flightseeing
    Super friendly and helpful staff. Very informative young lady who explained what we were looking at and took the best photo of my husband and I. The weather was perfect. Crisp and clear day with waters that were mirror smooth and reflective. The scenery was incredible. Loved this excursion very much. The hot chocolate was most welcome. They also served a vegetarian chili and clam chowder.
    View All 104 Misty Fjords Flightseeing Reviews
  • Scenic Drive
    We booked a mini bus tour through M & M tours. Saw the grave yard, the town and a scenic ride up Yukon Trail. It was informative. I am short so bus rides tend to bore me as I have difficulty seeing over seats and past my husband who needs the window seat to take photos. I am embarrassed to say, I slept through most of the ride up the Yukon Trail
    View All 100 Scenic Drive Reviews
  • Pedicab
    We arrived late into port because of a medical emergency that had us being diverted to Prince Rupert. Our wonderful Captain managed to get us extra time in port so that we could see something of this beautiful laid back city. The pedicabs were a great way to visit Victoria. The kept stopping and showing us interesting sights. Explained the history and all with gentle humor. Loved it.