3. Star Princess
We wanted to see Alaska for quite some time and booked this trip with our friends from central NY. We began the land portion of our trip about 4 days earlier than the cruise. We stayed at three different Princess Lodges, Fairbanks, Denali, and Mt. McKinley. The latter two were excellent, but the Fairbanks Lodge was just average. We went on a steamboat in Fairbanks...really nice, that was included. It brought us along the Chena River. Next in Denali we did a covered wagon excursion and an included Denali National Park tour. Both were nice, but the covered wagon tour was a little different than we expected. They also offered for rent 4 wheelers, which at some points were on the same path. The noise from them I am sure scared off some of the wildlife and we did not see any. As far as the Star Princess embarkation a big thumbs down from both couples! We were running late as our train arrived just 25 minutes before the scheduled departure. We are in our early to mid 60's and my wife was separated from me at the ramp. I was told to go to the other ramp, even though I said that is my wife. No reason offered for splitting us up. He just did it. He said to me...you go that way. He did the same thing to the other couple...our friends. Very odd to split us up and really not very nice. Complained on ship next day in comment section, and also on the post cruise survey. No response from Princess on either. No one was behind us as we got onto the ramps. All I would have wanted was some logical reason way this was done. Only bad part of the trip! As I mentioned in the title, everything else was top notch. Our room, the staff/crew on the ship, meals, and the Itinerary of our ships ports and glacier viewing were all great. Our Captain Michele Tuvo was extremely friendly and seen all around the ship, stopping by to say hello...and "Bye Bye"! (his trademark sign off for every time he ended speaking) We saw several shows, including an excellent comedian, and a show involving the staff at a food demonstration that including singing and a dance skit. All top notch and very enjoyable. The casino for the four of us was boring. The slots that they had were very limited and specific. If you like variations of Keno games (which we all do), you only find a straight keno game....no excitement! We all love casinos (Vegas, Atlantic City, Native Indian, and other cruise ships) spending many hours playing and having fun. I don't think we spent more than two hours total in this one. Really being honest about having heard a couple of times, other people saying similar things as we were riding on an elevator. We did choose an inside cabin as they were much more affordable. Honestly we did not miss having an outside view or balcony on this trip. The cost of wifi is somewhat high, but there is another option for text messaging.

Cruise, excursions, food, staff, captain, and extertainment were great....BUT

Star Princess Cruise Review by Oriskany

• Sail Date: August 2017
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Interior

Oriskany’s Full Rating Summary
Get Star Princess price drops

Interior
Cabin IB B340
Cabin was very clean. Plenty of room to hang your clothes. A small safe was provided in the room.
Aloha Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins