• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

WQGuy
10+ Cruises • Age 70s

Sail Date: Aug 2017
Cabin: Concierge Suite

We have sailed on Regent going back to when they were Radisson, ( Pre-Regent days), and thought they were excellent. We last enjoyed them a year ago in Alaska, and we were looking forward to sailing on their new ship the Explorer. Advertised as the most luxurious ship a-float, we thought this would be the ultimate in Regent Cruising. Suffice it to say I assume that the cost of the ship and its extensive art work and decor must be paid for somehow, and so cuts must be made. It is the little things such as food served lukewarm, or tepid. A request at lunch for a German or dutch lager beer and getting served " Tiger Beer " from the Philippines. A Concierge that immediately responds; "We are not offering any Compensation", when all you were doing was making them aware of an issue, ( while never asking for any compensation). Ordering an Asian stir fry dish listed on the menu in the Pacific Rim Restaurant and being asked how you wanted it cooked? Really? Going to the Patio for lunch and taking a dish from the stack just placed by the kitchen staff and finding the first plate still has food residue stuck on it. When reported and shown to the server, they simply took it away and left the stack of dished it came off of in place for other passengers to take their plates from. I have no idea if the other plates were clean or may have also have had some residue stuck on them as well.

Is it possible as Regent has increased the size of this newest ship to add more passengers that they have lost ability to continue to provide World Class Customer Service? Our overall experience made us feel as if we were on a Princess, or Celebrity Cruise, good but not " Luxury Class, not world Class. Goodbye Regent and Hello NCL. Service for the masses, good but not luxury. For us, if I want that type of service I can Cruise with Princess, or Celebrity, or Royal Caribbean. For luxury though, I will be comparing to SeaBourn, and SilverSea

Concierge Suite

The cabins are huge with more storage space then i have ever seen on any other ship on any other Cruise line. Love the bed facing the veranda door so you can wake up and see the beautiful view. One negative aspect was during less than perfectly smooth seas the cabin walls cracked, knocked, banged, with each roll of the ship. I am not talking about a minor creak or squeak, but rather almost as if something was loose in the wall and hitting. sounded like someone knocking on the wall. I found if i pushed hard against one wall panel it would abate as long as i held it, but once I let go it would start again with each ship movement. I am guessing that as the ship humidity changed the panels shrunk and loosened. Did not make for a good nights sleep.

Find a Seven Seas Explorer Cruise from $5,569